Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Thundering Tuesday or How We Lost The Power 
    In an attempt to avoid the wrath of the daily thread Nazi, I'm the designated Tuesday thread starter.

Last night storms rolled through the area. Around 11:30pm, the power went out. I got all upset. I've lived in this area most of my life and sadly know Ameren Electric. We found the flashlight and called Ameren. The automated system, after a series of prompts, said the power would be restored by 6am.

SR said it would be back on soon. I said, "Oh nooooo, you don't know Ameren. They just didn't say which day at 6am it would return." I worried about the new Pergo in the kitchen, afraid the ice cubes in the freezer would melt and the water would puddle on the floor, causing that Pergo to buckle. I worried about the refrig/freezer in the kitchen that was full of food going bad. Then I fretted about the freezer in the garage. I've lost a couple freezers worth of food since I've been at this house two and a half years.

Sooo, you can guess the outcome. The power was restored in an hour. :D

We were lucky as they said 11,000 people are still without power. In the last big winter storm, upward of a million Ameren customers waited for up to a week.

All is well, even though we overslept and SR had no time to start the Tuesday thread.

TOTD: What is the longest time you've been without power and what damage did it cause?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    I lost power for 6 days during Katrina; losing power during hurricane season is a common occurence here but I have to say that we have an outstanding utility company. Lost food in the freezer but have never had any property damage knock on wood. The worst part was dealing with the 95+ degree heat. Looks like we will get a little rain from hurricane Dolly.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    TOTD: A week thanks to Charley. I lost any refrigerated food, obviously. The house started to get a nasty, musty smell after a few days. I would get in my car and turn the AC on for relief. It pretty much sucked. But there was no real damage done.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    TOTD: We lost power for about 30 hours during and after hurricane Isabelle. Northern Virginia doesn't usually have a hurricane problem, but that was a big exception. There were impromptu barbecues all over our neighborhood - might as well grill it as lose it. :)

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    1963-1972
    but I guess I turned out okay :)
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    1963-1972
    but I guess I turned out okay :)
    You didn't have any electricity for 9 years? Were you raised by cave people?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    TOTD: A week thanks to Charley. I lost any refrigerated food, obviously. The house started to get a nasty, musty smell after a few days. I would get in my car and turn the AC on for relief. It pretty much sucked. But there was no real damage done.
    Same here, obviously. That was living hell...especially during the absolute most hot and humid time of the year.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Well, I hope we don't lose power this week since it's going to be in the mid 90s all week long. I still haven't turned on the AC but I would dearly miss the swamp cooler.

TOTD: We went about 3 days or so one time but it was in the dead of winter. We emptied the kitchen freezer and put everything in boxes in the storage shed which was probably colder than the freezer compartment. We just didn't open the other one in the garage. We ate up everything else in the fridge.

Aside from losing some condiments, it wasn't a big deal for us. I never buy refrigerators that make ice for this very kind of reason so no worries there.

We were back home in Wisconsin here for a friends wedding and a BAD storm blew through.

We were staying at my Brother's house in Milwaukee and it was 3 days before they got the power back on.

He was running a generator periodically to keep the fridge and chest freezer colled down.

TOTD: 90 minutes - here at the shop. Guy hit a massive power pole with a dump truck. Only about 20 minutes at the houses, as Ive got Honda gen-sets at every address.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)