#1 What have republicans done for this country?
10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
- Join Date
- Oct 2009
I am a political novice looking for some advice. I recently read this blog and I was wonder what did they actually do? I'm a republican and I'm sure I'd recognize some of the things but if someone was to ask me that question I wouldn't know what to say. Help me
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I smell a rat . . .Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
In the last 10 years?
- Enacted the Kennedy brainchild of No Child Left Behind
- Not locked our borders even after we were hit by terrorists
- Enacted McCain/Feingold
- Given another $15 billion plus to Africa
- Reminded us all how awful gay marriage would be
- Sent delegates to Mexico to remind them they are planning on passing amnesty
- Scrapped thousands of border patrol jobs
- Doubled the size of government
- Doubled congressional earmarks
- Put the North American Union on the fast track
- Enacted Sarbanes/Oxley
- Broken every promise made by the Class of '94
- Doubled government spending
- Pledged $230 million dollars to Hezbollah
- Opened our border to Mexican trucks
- Started two unnecessary "wars"
- Caved in to the global warming nonsense
- "Sacrificed free market principles to save the free market system"
I mean, how can you even ASK what the Republicans have done for this country? Who wouldn't go and vote them all back into office?Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
10-27-2009, 12:22 AM
- Join Date
- May 2008
A better question would be when will the economy turn around, and when will the terrorist attack us again? I have little confidence in the tax and spend Congress and the appeaser-in-chief. Bush did one thing right which is that he kept us safe for 7 1/2 years.
SonnabendGuest10-27-2009, 02:13 AM
- Enacted the Civil Rights Act after Democrats tried to kill it
- Had the first black JCS and the first black Secretary of State (Colin Powell and Dr Rice)
- Did not have a former member of the KKK in their midst (Byrd)
- Led the fight for womens rights when democrats opposed it
- Passed the the Women’s Suffrage Amendment.
- The first Hispanic member of the President’s Cabinet? Republican Lauro Cavazos, Secretary of Education under President Reagan.
10-27-2009, 02:57 AMStarted two unnecessary "wars"
10-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Brought us out of a recession that SHOULD have been a depression of unprecedented proportions.
Rallied a country in the wake of a devastating attack on our soil - AFTER the Democrats let the perpetrators of that act go free.
PREVENTED socialized medicine not once but perhaps twice.
Gave freedom to all of Eastern Europe, and 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Reversed a decades long trend of greater infringement on our 2nd amendment rights.
They have kept the liberals from gaining ground in the Supreme Court.
NOW, keep in mind that they have done a lot of bad things also - and that is because Republicans have elected a lot of liberals also.
It is my belief that many in the party are waking up and insisting that this practice of electing RINOS end.
I am encouraged by the event in NY dist. 23 - no matter what the outcome there, it is a shot across the bow of the liberal portion of the Republican leadership. Don't give us these Rinos and expect us to simply vote for them because of the (R) behind their name. Give us conservatives or we will abandon you.
WE - as conservatives must embrace this, but we should also be mindful to not just dismiss the GOP when they DO offer us conservative candidates. That would be VERY counter-productive.
Think of it as training a puppy. You reward them when they do good (give us real conservatives) and punish them when they give us RINOS. YOU NEED BOTH the reward and the punishment.I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
After reading the article you linked to, I have this response.
The measurement of good government should NEVER be "what have you passed".
The measurement should be how have they stopped government from encroaching on our freedoms.
In this aspect they have prevented a TON of encroachments that the Democrats have tried to foist on us, and they have helped foist some encroachments upon us.
Compared to the alternative they have been incredibly successful and helpful.
Compared to the ideal - I'd rate them on a scale from 1-10 at about a 6.
Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 10-27-2009 at 06:33 AM.I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|