Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 6 People Alarmed By School Sports Logo. 
    Cross-Like T-Shirt Design at Penn State University Sparks Controversy
    Monday, October 26, 2009
    By Joshua Rhett Miller

Print ShareThis

Officials at Pennsylvania State University say they've received six complaints regarding this year's 'White Out' T-shirt design.

A blue, cross-like design emblazoned on T-shirts at Penn State University has some critics seeing red.

The shirts intended to foster school spirit sport a vertical blue line down the center with the words "Penn State White Out" emblazoned across the chest, forming a design that some say resembles a cross. The back of the shirt depicts the same blue line obscured by the words, "Don't be intimated It's just me and 110,000 of my friends." Roughly 30,000 of the shirts have been sold.

Penn State says it has received six complaints about the shirt, including one from the Anti-Defamation League's Philadelphia branch, from people who say it connotes a Christian cross. The logo design also has become the focus of controversy in the student newspaper, "The Daily Collegian," which has received several letters to the editor on both sides of the issue.

Michal Berns, a junior majoring in media law and policy, said she refused to buy the $15 shirt because of its religious connotations.

"At first glance, you don't necessarily think that's what it looks like, but when you look at it more, it does look like a cross," Berns told Foxnews.com. "That's the reason I didn't purchase it."

Berns said students can purchase the shirts when they buy season tickets for the university's nationally ranked football program or during the football season at the campus bookstore and other stores. The shirts are typically worn at Penn State's annual "White Out" game, at which a crowd of 100,000 screaming Nittany Lions fans creates a virtual sea of white at Beaver Stadium.

While Berns acknowledged the shirt's single blue stripe resembles the stripe on the team's football helmet, she and others at the university's Hillel Jewish organization plan to show their school pride in other ways.

"There always has to be some sort of separation," said Berns, referring to the state-funded school and religious affiliation. "Me personally, I'm not going to buy the shirts and I know others at [Penn State Hillel] who won't, either."

Bill Mahon, vice president for university relations, said six people have contacted Penn State to voice their objections to the shirt's design.

"Six complaints is not a controversy," Mahon wrote Foxnews.com. "Students submit shirt designs to the student paper each year. Students then vote for their favorite design and they are sold in the campus bookstore."

Mahon said the design was based on the single blue stripe on the football team's helmets and will not be pulled from store shelves as some have asked. "The shirts have sold out and no changes are planned," he said.

Stephanie Bennis, a senior at the school, said she created the shirt's design in March with fellow public relations major Emily Sabolsky, and in no way did they intend to create religious overtones. Like Mahon, she said the single blue stripe is a nod to the university's football program.

"That was the entire idea," she said. "And all we thought was normally wording goes right across the chest. That's truly the reason why we did it."

Bennis said she was "very shocked" when she learned the university had received complaints about the design.

"It's just sad to see that in this day and age, the most offensive thing on a shirt can be what people see as a religious symbol," she said.

"Are we going to ban lowercase t's in the alphabet? Where do you draw the line?"
    Because nothing says, "turn or burn" to us fundies like a college football logo.

Fox

"At first glance, you don't necessarily think that's what it looks like, but when you look at it more, it does look like a cross," Berns told Foxnews.com. "That's the reason I didn't purchase it."

In other words, I didn't think it looked like a cross until someone else told me it did.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Wait a minute. 6 people are alarmed?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Yeah, it's practially a national emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    That's exactly what I thought! What a non-story.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    That's exactly what I thought! What a non-story.
    But malicious Christian fundies are probably behind it so it's a huge story! :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    But malicious Christian fundies are probably behind it so it's a huge story! :D
    In Happy Valley? I don't think so. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I want one!!
    "I know bourbon gets better with age, because the older I get, the more I like it."
    Booker Noe (1929-2004) master distiller and grandson of Jim Beam

"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny."
    Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC), Agamemnon

Power CUer
    As the bumper sticker says, "If God isn't a Penn State fan, why is the sky blue and white?" :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    I guess we need to get rid of the plus sign on all electronic machines such as computers, ATM, calculators, etc. Looks like a cross to me.:mad: These 6 dipships should be taken behind the woodshed and given a good ass whipping.