Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here's a thought - and I might be way out of line here so let me know if I am . . . . but I was thinking that - if you don't like the shirt . . . .

DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Here's a thought - and I might be way out of line here so let me know if I am . . . . but I was thinking that - if you don't like the shirt . . . .

DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE!

like 'if you don't like abortion, don't have one.' the pro-aborts think that's extremely clever.

O verly
    B oastful
    A bout
    M inor
    A ccomplishments

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    But malicious Christian fundies are probably behind it so it's a huge story! :D
    A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas? Certainly does not seem as if its a story designed to demonize Christians... its only Christians that seem to be reading about it.

One only has to follow the fuming comments following this story all over the right-web to understand why its a "huge story". The pervasive, paranoid myths among Christians of "Christian oppression in a country gone-mad" are built on thousands and thousands of these little non-stories. Each little story, either non-issue, fabrication, or half-truth at best... yet collectively they build a convincing and consistent narrative in the heads of the deluded. A convenient illusion. Its a "huge story" because its a story which reinforces that illusion.

The icing on the cake is, that its generally this group who loves to bemoan those who "play the victim", yet are oblivious to the fact that their talents are unmatched in that particular game.
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-28-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas?
    Well, I know I posted it here because it amused me. If you look at all my posts in this thread, you will be able to detect a large amount of mirth. It also amuses other conservatives which is why it's popular on conservative web sites.

Geez, wilbur - you are one of most humorless people I've met online. Get a freaking grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JackKetch View Post
    like 'if you don't like abortion, don't have one.' the pro-aborts think that's extremely clever.
    oh yea and buying a shirt is definitely equivalent to murdering a baby. . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

100 + wasted words.
    Nice swoop & poop...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

"There always has to be some sort of separation," said Berns, referring to the state-funded school and religious affiliation.
    Mahon wrote Foxnews.com. "Students submit shirt designs to the student paper each year. Students then vote for their favorite design and they are sold in the campus bookstore."
    Looks like another jag-off just waiting to be offended. Whatta crock-o-crap...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas? Certainly does not seem as if its a story designed to demonize Christians... its only Christians that seem to be reading about it.

One only has to follow the fuming comments following this story all over the right-web to understand why its a "huge story". The pervasive, paranoid myths among Christians of "Christian oppression in a country gone-mad" are built on thousands and thousands of these little non-stories. Each little story, either non-issue, fabrication, or half-truth at best... yet collectively they build a convincing and consistent narrative in the heads of the deluded. A convenient illusion. Its a "huge story" because its a story which reinforces that illusion.

The icing on the cake is, that its generally this group who loves to bemoan those who "play the victim", yet are oblivious to the fact that their talents are unmatched in that particular game.
    I think you might be missing the point. The story states that only six people have objected to the design. "Even" as an atheist, I can see that their objections are more than a bit over the top. The story is far more about PC over-sensitivities on the part of the small number of complainants than it is about the choice of iconography used in the design.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I think you might be missing the point. The story states that only six people have objected to the design. "Even" as an atheist, I can see that their objections are more than a bit over the top. The story is far more about PC over-sensitivities on the part of the small number of complainants than it is about the choice of iconography used in the design.
    My point wasnt really about defending the people complaining about the shirt. I do think its probably nearly impossible to put something in front of a few thousand people, like a shirt design, and not have at least 6 people complain - which makes it seem like an even bigger non-issue. I don't really see anything wrong with the shirt at all and should I meet the complainers in real life, I would probably tell them to get over it. But whats interesting to me is the buzz around the story here, and elsewhere in the Christian right media. Note, that its nowhere else, yet its even re-cast almost as if its a media conspiracy against Christians - even though all the reporting and all the hype seems to be exclusive to the right wing press and the right wing audience.

This is nothing new or unique, but it shows how even such trivial non-issues end up contributing to the paranoia and delusions of persecution in the Christian right wing. Its scary to think just how much this stuff influences the worldviews of some people.
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-30-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Geez, wilbur - you are one of most humorless people I've met online. Get a freaking grip.
    Exactly Ginger! This is why I heckle you all the time Wilbur, for being boring as hell ( which of course you don't believe in). It makes little difference to me whether a person is atheist or not you have the emotions of Spock! Everyone will answer to their own conscience some day.