Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 8 year Old "Marries" Sweetheart. Sweetheart Now A "Widow". 
    Dying eight-year-old 'marries' his school sweetheart

An eight-year-old boy who had set his heart on 'marrying' his school sweetheart achieved his final wish the day before he died of leukaemia.

By Laura Clout
    Last Updated: 8:22AM BST 22 Jul 2008

Given only weeks to live, Reece Fleming proposed to his 'special friend' Elleanor Purgslove at a laser tag party.

After she accepted, their parents arranged a make-believe wedding at Reece's home in Mackworth, Derby. He died the next day with his family.

Reece's mother Lorraine Fleming said he told her, "I can go now" after his wish had been granted.

The 28-year-old said: ""He was so proud of her, and we were proud of them both."

Reece was diagnosed with leukaemia in July 2004, when he was aged just four.

He fought the disease for four years until May when doctors told him he had just weeks to live.

Ms Fleming, said she and his stepfather Mick Thompson had tried to help him achieve as much as possible before his death, including marrying his sweetheart.

"When we found out that we only had a few weeks with him we tried to do absolutely everything with him that we could.

"Him and Ellie had been 'special friends' for a couple of years but then they broke up.

"We said we'd have a pirate party, and Ellie came. She went to visit Reece a few times in hospital as well.

She added: "We also had a football and laser quest party, apparently that's when he proposed to her."

The pair went out to dinner in the mayor's limousine and the families organised a 'wedding', complete with rings, a stand-in vicar and a certificate.
    This isn't "sweet", this is bizarre. :eek:

Ick

Sonnabend
    This isn't "sweet", this is bizarre.
    And who did it hurt, Ginge? Who did it embarrass or inconvenience?

He was a child and asked for something special....so they gave it to him. He died the following day.

At his funeral, mourners followed a horse-drawn hearse on foot.
    As they did in the 1800's in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    And who did it hurt, Ginge? Who did it embarrass or inconvenience?

He was a child and asked for something special....so they gave it to him. He died the following day.

As they did in the 1800's in London.
    Do you really think little kids need to be in mock adult relationships like this? It sounds as though the girl may have been pushed into going along with this.

They sold little girls for a pound in London in the 1800s. That doesn't impress me.

There is something bizarre about an 8 year old boy pining for marriage.

The big Cheese
    Still there is is something truly sad about a 8 year old boy dying of cancer....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Well, the wedding was make-believe. I'd like to think there wasn't too much harm done, but you might have a child thinking she lost her husband now. I don't know.

That's all really sad.

I find it odd that she referred to them "breaking up". But I thought the fake wedding was sweet. Lots of little kids talk about marrying their little girlfriends.

Poor kid. So sad to hear of such a little one dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Well, the wedding was make-believe. I'd like to think there wasn't too much harm done, but you might have a child thinking she lost her husband now. I don't know.

That's all really sad.
    Did that to screw the widow out of Soc Sec survivors benefits I bet ;)
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

The problem here is that the adults have made a big deal about this childhood relationship. While the boy is gone, the girl is still here and this may very adversely affect her 6 years up the line. Girls are prone to destructive romantic fantasies when they hit puberty. She has only to Google all this and then decide in typical pubertal fashion that he really was "the one". If she also has other issues going on, this just provides an excuse for acting out in non-productive ways.

Children don't need "relationships"; let alone mock adult relationships. It can only confuse them. Imagine if this kid had had a miraculous recovery and insisted on claiming time and attention from this little girl. She would feel guilty for denying him or maybe even see her own role as being crucial to his health. Since she wasn't "all that into him" she may yet blame herself for his death. Kids are funny that way.

Kids have enough problems without this sort of thing.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The problem here is that the adults have made a big deal about this childhood relationship. While the boy is gone, the girl is still here and this may very adversely affect her 6 years up the line. Girls are prone to destructive romantic fantasies when they hit puberty. She has only to Google all this and then decide in typical pubertal fashion that he really was "the one". If she also has other issues going on, this just provides an excuse for acting out in non-productive ways.

Children don't need "relationships"; let alone mock adult relationships. It can only confuse them. Imagine if this kid had had a miraculous recovery and insisted on claiming time and attention from this little girl. She would feel guilty for denying him or maybe even see her own role as being crucial to his health. Since she wasn't "all that into him" she may yet blame herself for his death. Kids are funny that way.

Kids have enough problems without this sort of thing.

I agree with you on principle, but there could be individual situations where I could see it as a appropriate-like a situation where the family are friends and the kids have been playmates since they were really little, and maybe they always played house together. For me to judge, I'd have to know how the little girl felt about it-did she do it because she thought she was giving something special to someone she cared about? I would see that differently, because it is a generous impulse in a child.

Sounds like it was one of several "wishes" that were granted:

In the weeks leading up to his death, Reece's family and friends organised a series of treats for the schoolboy.

“We wanted to do as much as we could for him,” said Lorraine.

The youngster, who loved pirates and cars, was treated to a ride in a Ferrari and a Porsche, organised by family friend Sandra Sheldon.

“Going in the Ferrari was his favourite,” said Lorraine.

A pirate-themed party was also organised for him and his school chums and he was invited to spend a day at Kingsway fire station, where he went for a ride on the engine.

“He loved that day,” said Lorraine. “They were great with him.”

Lorraine said the wedding, which took place on July 4, was special for Reece.

“After he got married and Elleanor left, he just lay on the bed. It was like that was what he had been waiting for.

“He looked so much better and at peace.”
    The little girl seemed to just be playing "dress up". I doubt if her long term feelings will be much different than if she had lost a dear friend.