Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 112
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thailand/Arizona
    Posts
    766
    I doubt there is any way to stop any age group from posting here. How would you know?

    As to lowering the voting age, my position is the vote should be an earned right. You should be required to give something back to the nation before being afforded the right to vote.

    Military service would be one route.

    Perhaps civilian service akin to military service (i.e. park service or some other real work).

    Or proof that you have been a PRODUCTIVE member of society (aka pay serious taxes and show you have WORKED for at least 10 years non-stop).

    I believe this would eliminate the leaches that are voting themselves pork at the trough.

    (sigh). I can dream can't I?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6863536

    This explains a lot! DU allows fourteen year olds to post.
    WTF!? We just raised the driving age to 18 - why the hell would we lower the voting age? If you can't be trusted to drive RESPONSIBLY what makes you think we can trust you to VOTE responsibly???
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    WTF!? We just raised the driving age to 18 - why the hell would we lower the voting age? If you can't be trusted to drive RESPONSIBLY what makes you think we can trust you to VOTE responsibly???
    What state is that in?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    What state is that in?
    PA. http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/teen-drivers.php It's not a complete revocation of their driving privileges - but it is a good start. :) They can't even get a junior license until they're 16 1/2 have 50+ hours of LOGGED driving experience - and have passed a drivers education course.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member jnkbortka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, Indiana
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You're way too nice, man.

    If I had my way, you'd have to show photo ID, recent urinalysis results, and prove you've been off all welfare programs for at least 6 months before you were even let into the booth. You would then have to pass a brief political quiz on your ballot to have your vote even tallied.

    I can't help but sneer when I hear people talk about how we can encourage more people to vote. The problem in America is that too many people are voting already.
    I agree with most of this, but age doesn't have anything to do with it. If a 13 year old can pass that political quiz, then he or she should be able to vote. I am 15 by the way, and yes, i realize that most people my age don't really know much about politics, but some of us do, which is why i think the quiz is a great idea. the drug test is a good idea too. besides, 16 year olds already pay income tax, can drive, and can get married in most states with parental consent, and 17 year olds can join the military. why not just make more lenient minor's emancipation laws. actually give them the rights of adults. 18 is a good age for a legal adult, but capable teenagers should be given the chance to earn those rights. anyone agree with me?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,422
    Welcome! If you join the military at age 17 I think all the rights of an adult should come with it.
    If you're old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to enjoy it's benefits.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    812
    The only good thing about 16 years olds being able to vote is that a tiny fraction of them would even bother doing it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Welcome! If you join the military at age 17 I think all the rights of an adult should come with it.
    If you're old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to enjoy it's benefits.

    That's how I see it, too, except for alcohol-if it was just a matter of those 18-21 year olds serving in the military being served alcohol, well, I have no problem with that. It's just not probably legally possible to have a double standard like that where one group can drink and the rest can't.

    Can a 17 year old actually serve in the military? I know they can enlist at that age, but I thought they had to be 18 to begin their active service. If they are 17, it's only a matter of weeks or months before they are eligible to vote. It would be a very small group of 17 year olds who were born in November and December who wouldn't be able to vote (my thinking is that most people are 17 or 18 years old at high school graduation, and those who are 17 turn 18 by the end of December of that year).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,422
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's how I see it, too, except for alcohol-if it was just a matter of those 18-21 year olds serving in the military being served alcohol, well, I have no problem with that. It's just not probably legally possible to have a double standard like that where one group can drink and the rest can't.

    Can a 17 year old actually serve in the military? I know they can enlist at that age, but I thought they had to be 18 to begin their active service. If they are 17, it's only a matter of weeks or months before they are eligible to vote. It would be a very small group of 17 year olds who were born in November and December who wouldn't be able to vote (my thinking is that most people are 17 or 18 years old at high school graduation, and those who are 17 turn 18 by the end of December of that year).
    Remember how big a hurry you were in to grow up when you were 17, a month was a year!:D
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member jnkbortka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, Indiana
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Welcome! If you join the military at age 17 I think all the rights of an adult should come with it.
    If you're old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to enjoy it's benefits.
    i'm actualy considering the airforce :D

    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    The only good thing about 16 years olds being able to vote is that a tiny fraction of them would even bother doing it.
    but shouldn't they have the option? there are many people who can vote that don't.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •