Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Woman Killed by Coyotes! 
    Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.
    Maybe I should have posted this in the End of the World Forum. I have heard of coyotes biting children but I've never heard of an adult human being killed by coyotes! That business about mistaking the woman for a deer is pure B.S. Coyotes are extremely smart. They certainly know what a deer looks like.

We have a lot of coyotes where I live. They better not be turning to the Dark Side. :eek:

Yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We have a lot of coyotes where I live.
    I am only familiar with Wile E.

Coyotes can certainly tell humans from deer...we don't run as fast, we don't have nice sharp hooves or antlers for defense, and we're a lot fattier.

The more libs refuse to let humans shoot wild critters, the more wild critters are going to figure out that humans are easy to kill and good to eat.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    We live in the woods and have lots of wildlife around including coyotes.

I am surprised at this attack. I always have thought of coyotes as being dangerous to pets and children, probably older people, but for two of them them to take down a young healthy and presumably fit adult is surprising.

I have heard that coyotes in the eastern US are larger than out west and that there is some possibility of them having bred with either dogs or wolves but don't really know.

This is sobering. I hear coyotes on a lot of nights as I sit out on our deck.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I carry a pistol on the tractor because of coyotes and snakes. The have come as close as 25 feet from the tractor and get increasingly bold in town!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I carry a pistol on the tractor because of coyotes and snakes. The have come as close as 25 feet from the tractor and get increasingly bold in town!
    Snakes On a Tractor .

I smell an Oscar....!!!!

I'll write the screen play. We can discuss who will play you, Rock. I was thinking Robert Duval but he's getting kinda long in the tooth.

We'll do lunch.....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    We live in the woods and have lots of wildlife around including coyotes.

I am surprised at this attack. I always have thought of coyotes as being dangerous to pets and children, probably older people, but for two of them them to take down a young healthy and presumably fit adult is surprising.

I have heard that coyotes in the eastern US are larger than out west and that there is some possibility of them having bred with either dogs or wolves but don't really know.

This is sobering. I hear coyotes on a lot of nights as I sit out on our deck.
    Well, this was a Canadian folk singer so she was probably more defenseless than an ordinary non-folk-singing American but still.... It kind of freaked me out since we have a lot of coyotes. The county has been culling them this year but I live right next to a nature reserve and a garden cemetery and both places are stuffed with coyotes.

I would hate to think that any would be bold enough to bother me on a walk. I have often seen them hunkered down in the long grass no more than 25 feet away. A distance I expect they can cross in under 2 seconds. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, this was a Canadian folk singer so she was probably more defenseless than an ordinary non-folk-singing American but still.... It kind of freaked me out since we have a lot of coyotes. The county has been culling them this year but I live right next to a nature reserve and a garden cemetery and both places are stuffed with coyotes.

I would hate to think that any would be bold enough to bother me on a walk. I have often seen them hunkered down in the long grass no more than 25 feet away. A distance I expect they can cross in under 2 seconds. :eek:
    Perhaps it would be good to not go on solo walks. What's going on lately---coyote attacks in Canada, raccoon attacks in Florida! :eek: It is teh end of the world.

We were taught in our docent class at the zoo that coyotes are not aggressive to humans, but indeed might carry off a small dog or a cat. You could go with the story that we're invading their habitat and they've lost their fear of humans, but this attack was in a remote, more rugged terrain.

They used to come through my previous subdivision, but as far as I know, they only got one small dog. We have wild coyotes roaming Forest Park (the Zoo is in FP), and at night they somehow get on the zoo grounds.

Zoo visitors who life in the actual city of STL, definitely an urban area, said they see coyotes, possums, raccoons in the alleys, etc.

Be careful, Ginger, especially if there are packs of them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.
    Ok, I grew up around coyotes, have killed at least fifty in my lifetime and have seen what two coyotes can do to a muley buck but I have never ever heard them called "prairie wolves".

Now, as for killing a folk singer, I might just give the next coyote that steps out in front of my Jeep a reprieve. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Snakes On a Tractor .

I smell an Oscar....!!!!

I'll write the screen play. We can discuss who will play you, Rock. I was thinking Robert Duval but he's getting kinda long in the tooth.

We'll do lunch.....
    "I am sick of these motherfucking snakes on this mother fucking tractor!"
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.