Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sexism And Tats. 
    Social stigma drives some women to remove tattoos

4:08 PM, July 21, 2008

It appears sexism is alive and well when it comes to tattoos. Although just about as many women as men get tattoos nowadays, a new study shows that women seek removal of tattoos more than men because of negative social fallout.

About 25% of people ages 18 to 30 have tattoos, and that number is expected to rise to about 40% in the next few years, according to the study, published today in the Archives of Dermatology. Previous studies have shown that about 20% of people end up dissatisfied with their tattoos, and about 6% seek tattoo removal using laser treatment.

In the study, researchers analyzed data from two surveys of people undergoing tattoo removal. One survey was taken in 1996 and a second survey in 2006. In both surveys, men and women said they wanted the tattoos removed because their identities had changed and they had grown to dislike the tattoos. But in the 2006 survey, women also reported that they felt stigmatized by the tattoos. For example, 93% said having to hide the tattoos on occasion was a factor in the removal compared with 20% of men. About 40% of women endured negative comments at work, in public or in school compared with 5% of men.

So, ladies, think about that tattoo before you get it. And when you get it, think long and hard about where you're putting it.
    I doubt sexism is behind tattoo regret. One of the comments really nailed, I thought. The comment noted that a lot of women who get tats are women who follow trends and fashion. Nothing is as dating as a tat. It's a fashion fad you have to live with forever (unless you pony up for removal). It would be like sporting Jennifer Aniston's asymmetrical hair part for the rest of your life.

Tramp Stamp

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I doubt sexism is behind tattoo regret. One of the comments really nailed, I thought. The comment noted that a lot of women who get tats are women who follow trends and fashion. Nothing is as dating as a tat. It's a fashion fad you have to live with forever (unless you pony up for removal). It would be like sporting Jennifer Aniston's asymmetrical hair part for the rest of your life.

Tramp Stamp
    It really cracked me up when people started referring to those small of the back tattoos a lot of girls get as "tramp stamps". Demotology clinics probably do a thriving business removing those things.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    The ankle tat was wildly popular when I was around 18. I mocked the girls then and I really mock them now. No tats for me...ever.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Lots of women can belch just like men too...doesn't mean they should.

I'm gonna get a tat. I want to look like a cross between sa pirate and a biker. Still working on it.

Proably have it all figured out by the time I'm 65.

Bumping for tramp stamp goodness.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Bumping for tramp stamp goodness.
    I think you got it in the post above you.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Patent Member
    I totally misread the title of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    I totally misread the title of this thread...
    Do tell....

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    I have the traditional ankle tattoo with roses, easily covered for the office, I don't even notice it anymore. The other tattoo I got is right above my heart, the little bugs feet copied directly from the hospital stamp. Since they are the length of my second knuckle of my pinky finger, its not like they are very obvious. Of course with age, they will probably continue to grow as gravity does its evil little tricks!
    What amazes me are the job applicants that come in with face, neck, full sleeve tattoos and multiple piercings!
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.