Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Hey Ginger....Shannon asked me to respond. As far as her drinking goes, she doesn't drink water any more or less than she has in the last few years. The cat food issue wasn't something that I thought would be harmful to her, mostly because she is so much larger...but also because it is a dry food, not wet. But it would be easy enough to move the cat food dish to the counter, but since we have two cats, the female cat NEVER jumps up on the counter (but the male frequently does). I just wonder what IN the cat food might be harmful to Sandy.

Honestly, the panting is not normal (and her tendency to want to be around BOTH of us constantly) and has us both concerned.
    Her accidents may just be the result of a hormonal issue due to aging and it's easily fixed. If she isn't drinking a lot more, she probably doesn't have kidney issues.

When dogs pant a lot without a simple reason such exercise, heat, or sexual interest, they are usually experiencing stress of some kind. If your household has changed in any way or if your daily habits have changed, she might be responding to that. I don't know your dog or your habits so I can't really say.

Have you had more or different people over? Are you doing summer things that don't include her? Did you add a pet? Add a relative? Have you changed your schedule at all? Is Tristan gone more than usual?

She's probably fine but upset.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Her accidents may just be the result of a hormonal issue due to aging and it's easily fixed. If she isn't drinking a lot more, she probably doesn't have kidney issues.

When dogs pant a lot without a simple reason such exercise, heat, or sexual interest, they are usually experiencing stress of some kind. If your household has changed in any way or if your daily habits have changed, she might be responding to that. I don't know your dog or your habits so I can't really say.

Have you had more or different people over? Are you doing summer things that don't include her? Did you add a pet? Add a relative? Have you changed your schedule at all? Is Tristan gone more than usual?

She's probably fine but upset.
    Tristan has been gone more than usual. I choose to blame
    DS though. I am kicking him out now.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Panting can also indicate pain. You say that she has a lot of tumors. Have they been checked? Have they been diagnosed as fatty tumors (or cysts)? My Jessie panted a lot when he was in pain from the bone infection.

As far as the cat food, I believe it is very high in protein. Older dogs generally need a diet with less protein. I'd really nix that cat food.

I agree with Ginger about the sphincter muscle. It's fairly prevalent in female dogs that have been spayed. The greyhound that I lost at 13 1/2 had that problem when she was about 2 years old. The meds that the vet gave her cleared it right up.

Or it could be something as simple as a urinary tract infection. That can cause pain, which would account for the panting, and certainly can cause the incontinence.

Hope it's something simple, Shannon and DS.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Have your dog doc do a urinary analysis. That will eliminate kidney problems and maybe pinpoint the hormonal problem. If Tristan has been gone a lot, that may be her stressor. He probably interacts with her in a casual way that you guys miss and you will have to sub for him as he gets older.

SLW is right. Cat food is very high protein and not good for older dogs who haven't been brought up on a RAW diet. If she has any little kidney issues, cat food will make them worse.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep you updated.:)
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III