Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm honestly scared to death, LL. I KNOW she is dying. I just don't know how to handle it.:(
    So sorry for you. I watched my ex g.f. cockers go thru the same thing. Pain medication might help for the pooch. :)

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    So sorry for you. I watched my ex g.f. cockers go thru the same thing. Pain medication might help for the pooch. :)
    She could be fine...but thanks.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Let's interject a little common sense here before we go writing sympathy cards.

How is she eating? Does she drink water normally?
    Is she overweight?
    Is her coat groomed?
    Does she potty normally in addition to any accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Let's interject a little common sense here before we go writing sympathy cards.

How is she eating? Does she drink water normally?
    Is she overweight?
    Is her coat groomed?
    Does she potty normally in addition to any accidents?
    She eats catfood.:mad:
    She is not overweight,
    She is regularly groomed but full of tumors.
    Yes.

On second thought, she is surely too young to be dying. I am simply overreacting. Thank you for your well wishes.
    I hope there is nothing wrong with your dog and she is just mocking you.

She eats catfood.:mad:
    She is not overweight,
    She is regularly groomed but full of tumors.
    Yes.
    Okay. I know she is spayed. Frequently, older female dogs develop a lax sphincter muscle. This can be remedied with a little pill your dog doc can provide. She may be panting because between the dribbling, the heat, and her age she getting slightly dehydrated. Take her off the cat food and put her on a low sodium senior dog food and then take her to the vet for that little pill. Your vet will check for kidney function issues but 9 times out 10 it's a hormone problem that can be corrected easily. :)

Okay. I know she is spayed. Frequently, older female dogs develop a lax sphincter muscle. This can be remedied with a little pill your dog doc can provide. She may be panting because between the dribbling, the heat, and her age she getting slightly dehydrated. Take her off the cat food and put her on a low sodium senior dog food and then take her to the vet for that little pill. Your vet will check for kidney function issues but 9 times out 10 it's a hormone problem that can be corrected easily. :)
    I'm all over the rest of your advice but she eats the cat food. I don't know where to put it where the cats can eat it but she can't.

I'm all over the rest of your advice but she eats the cat food. I don't know where to put it where the cats can eat it but she can't.
    Put it on the counter. Your cat will adapt but your cocker can't jump that far. Use a lot of bleach - you'll get over it. Alternatively, you can do what we do which is to put a baby gate in a doorway (laundry room or whatever) and feed the cat behind that.

When you said she was drinking normally, you mean just the way she usually does, right? She's not hanging out at the water dish like it was Starbucks, is she?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hope your poochie turns out ok Shannon!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Put it on the counter. Your cat will adapt but your cocker can't jump that far. Use a lot of bleach - you'll get over it. Alternatively, you can do what we do which is to put a baby gate in a doorway (laundry room or whatever) and feed the cat behind that.

When you said she was drinking normally, you mean just the way she usually does, right? She's not hanging out at the water dish like it was Starbucks, is she?
    Hey Ginger....Shannon asked me to respond. As far as her drinking goes, she doesn't drink water any more or less than she has in the last few years. The cat food issue wasn't something that I thought would be harmful to her, mostly because she is so much larger...but also because it is a dry food, not wet. But it would be easy enough to move the cat food dish to the counter, but since we have two cats, the female cat NEVER jumps up on the counter (but the male frequently does). I just wonder what IN the cat food might be harmful to Sandy.

Honestly, the panting is not normal (and her tendency to want to be around BOTH of us constantly) and has us both concerned.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature