Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Atheist Blames Mother Theresa for Misery. 
    Hitchens Manages to Top Richard Dawkins, Assails Mother Theresa

Catholics and other Christians probably don't care what anyone says about them anymore, given the relative lack of outrage over Richard Dawkins' comments in The Washington Post this week. (See blog post below). So who will notice what Christopher Hitchens just unloaded on the Dennis Miller show this morning? Miller, let it be said, was not buying it at all--merely letting Hitchens spout this about abortion and Mother Theresa:

"Mother Theresa spent her whole life saying (that what Calcutta needs) is a huge campaign against family planning. I mean, who comes to that conclusion who isn't a complete fanatic? She took - and I would directly say stole...millions and millions of dollars and spent all the money not on the poor, but on the building of nearly 200 convents in her own name around the world to glorify herself and to continue to spread the doctrine that, as she put it -- when she got her absurd Nobel Peace Prize -- that the main threat to world peace is abortion and contraception. The woman was a fanatic and a fundamentalist and a fraud, and millions of people are much worse off because of her life, and it's a shame there is no hell for your bitch to go to."
    Christopher Hitchens is a regular contributor to The New Republic, The Atlantic and Vanity Fair.
    Discovery

Hitchens' irrational hatred toward Mother Theresa is not really news. He's a drunk jerk who manages to make everyone on the left and right despise him. He's also the role model for the character of the british journalist in Bonfire of The Vanities.

So much hate and vitriol on the left . . . I guess without Bush as their sole target of hate it was inevitable that it would spread to other targets . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Penn and Teller did something similar already. :p

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

She didn't campaign against family planning.
    She campaigned against murdering unborn children.
    That's different.
    Her faith says that natural family planning is acceptable and desireable.

The guy is talking out his butt.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Penn and Teller did something similar already. :p

~QC
    I didn't see that episode, but their usually spot on.

meh, hitchens. he did commentary on mother teresa's funeral with peter jennings and at the most sacred part of the Mass, hitchens started attacking mother teresa. jennings did not stop him, either. it was unbelievable. what kind of person verbally attacks someone during her funeral?

do you suppose i can get on tv and attack hitchens when his liver implodes and he goes to hell?

[no, i dont like hitchens as a matter of fact.] :D

O verly
    B oastful
    A bout
    M inor
    A ccomplishments

Banned
    Hitchens wrote a book criticizing Mother Theresa long before he wrote his famous "God is not Great" book - which is excellent, by the way - so his views arent exactly new here. He was actually invited to the Vatican to play the part of Devil's Advocate during Mother Theresa's canonization - and he did. He took part in that religious tradition and made the case for why she shouldnt have been sainted.

I have to say I understand his point - Mother Theresa was supportive of a philosophy that endorsed suffering, for sufferings sake - she was thankful for the suffering of the people she 'helped', because it was 'good for the world'. Presumably, their suffering was to God what carbon credits are to Al Gore. I believe Hitchens argues that she wasnt out to help prevent suffering, but to keep people alive as they suffered. If so, I believe that is very perverse - but not surprising, given the occult she was apart of.

She's didnt seem to be one of the modern right wing Christian's who seem to believe that fully living a prosperous happy republican life in capitalist America is the ultimate virtue. She was old school... she loved suffering.
    Last edited by wilbur; 11-05-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    She didn't campaign against family planning.
    She campaigned against murdering unborn children.
    That's different.
    Her faith says that natural family planning is acceptable and desireable.

The guy is talking out his butt.
    Ok, but that doesnt address contraception - is that "murdering unborn children" too?

Ya know - if you abstain from cheap meaningless sex - and teach the third world that you do not cure aids by sleeping with virgins - imagine how much better life could be?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.