Hybrid View

1. #1 Bad Apple: Five Classic Apple Marketing Tactics That Lock You In 
    Bad Apple: Five Classic Apple Marketing Tactics That Lock You In

When you buy an Apple device, you're often locked in to buying other Apple products that are compatible with it. Here are five examples, and some advice on what to do. Oh, wait--there's nothing you can do.

Dan Tynan, PC World

Nov 3, 2009 7:15 pm

Once you enter the Big Tent of Apple, it's exceedingly hard to find the exit.

Over its 33-year history, Apple has consistently elected to limit consumer choice, creating a situation known as "lock in." As soon as you start buying stuff from Apple, you'll find it difficult to move to products made by someone else without losing everything you've already paid for.

Of course, many people don't want to leave Apple's tent. After all, it's filled with iPhones and MacBooks and other cool stuff. And Apple is hardly the only business that tries to lock in customers--wireless carriers (including Apple partner AT&T) are probably the worst offenders. Nor is Apple the only vendor to use one product as leverage to push others onto consumers (let's declare Microsoft the champion there).

But no other technology company exercises the same amount of control over what its customers can and can't do with the things they bought. Part of this approach is due to Apple's deep belief that a closed digital ecosystem with limited options benefits both Apple and its customers. Part of it is due to an all-consuming desire for control on the part of the ringmaster, otherwise known as Steve Jobs.

The bottom line: Apple makes great products, but its marketing practices limit your choices and cost you more money. Here are five classic examples of how the company has done it.

1. iPod and iTunes
    When the iPod arrived in fall 2001, followed by the iTunes Music Store in spring 2003, few early adopters realized the commitment they were making by buying their media player and their media from the same source.

Due to Apple's digital rights management setup, until April 2007 any music you bought from iTunes could play in only three places: on an iPod, within registered iTunes software on a limited number of computers, or on certain Motorola phones (that nobody bought).

If you wanted to move the songs you bought at a buck apiece to a cheaper player from a competing manufacturer, you had two options: an onerous process in which you burned your songs to a CD and then reripped them as MP3s, or quasilegal software that essentially did the same thing using your hard drive instead of a disc.
    In the interest of fair reporting, more at the link. ;)

PC World

I don't have a problem with this. The whole deal is good enough that I'm prepared to shell out the bucks and be locked into it, because it is far better than the alternative. I'd rather have a smaller choice of a few really good products than a wider choice of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I don't have a problem with this. The whole deal is good enough that I'm prepared to shell out the bucks and be locked into it, because it is far better than the alternative. I'd rather have a smaller choice of a few really good products than a wider choice of crap.
    And it impresses the Guardianistas in your local Starbucks. :p

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I only have a Mac Mini at the moment, which I use as a media centre. I'm saving the bucks required to go portable, and it will not be until next year at the current rate of progress. :( The Mac Book Pro is 899 :eek:

Sonnabend
    I will use a Mac only if they hold a gun to my head. Limited in scope, severely limited in function, crippled when you consider that what is available for the Mac as opposed to a proper PC.

As a gamer..a Mac is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    "Guardinista". LOL! Can I be one? I read it every day at lunch.

Back on topic: Is it wrong to impress and awe the masses with Apple products. Should we not do this? :p

Exactly, one thing about products from Apple is.........they work.

Yeah because that competition thingy I keep hearing about can't possibly be good for any of us. <rolleyes>