1. #1 Gay bishop Gene Robinson 'must be sacked' to save church from schism 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

The first openly gay bishop in the Anglican Communion must be sacked to save the worldwide church from schism, leading bishops from the developing world have demanded.

Rt Rev Gene Robinson's election by liberal Americans has caused deep divisions and exposed the 80 million-strong Communion to "ridicule", according to the head of the church in Sudan.

The Most Rev Daniel Deng Bul claimed his statement was backed by 200 other bishops from 17 other "Global South" provinces in Africa, Asia and South America.

Coming on the second day of the once-a-decade gathering of Anglican clergy in Canterbury, the Lambeth Conference, the ultimatum undermines efforts by the Archbishop of Canterbury to keep the church united through discussion and development of a new set of rules.

It came as a group commissioned by Dr Rowan Williams admitted the Communion is in "turmoil" over sexuality, with "positions becoming more extreme" among liberals and conservatives.

One in four bishops is staying away from Lambeth in protest at the Episcopal Church of the USA's decision to elect Bishop Robinson in 2003, although conference organisers have refused to issue a list of delegates in case it breaches "privacy law" and threatens the safety of African bishops who have defied a boycott by their hardline leaders.

But Archbishop Deng said he had been determined to attend the meeting to put forward his church's statement that homosexuality is wrong and against scripture, and to condemn liberals in America and Canada who have departed from his view.

The statement read: "This has not only caused deep divisions within the Anglican Communion but it has seriously harmed the Church's witness in Africa and elsewhere, opening the church to ridicule and damaging its credibility in a multi-religious environment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...om-schism.html

noonwitch
    If there is a schism in the US and Britain, there will be one in the world-wide church. If not, the "Global South" churches will only split from the Anglican Communion if they have the financial independence to do so, or the Anglican Communion does what they want it to do, both of which are unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If there is a schism in the US and Britain, there will be one in the world-wide church. If not, the "Global South" churches will only split from the Anglican Communion if they have the financial independence to do so, or the Anglican Communion does what they want it to do, both of which are unlikely.
    The vast majority of the membership is no longer residing in the UK and her former colonies; it is a rising tide in Africa and throughout Asia. They have the resources to split. This would shatter the tenuous "community" in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries.

Already Canterbury has become an anachronism in many ways. Their leadership authority rests more on nostalgia than fact in some ways. The various pronouncements on sexuality, the nature of sin, and way to salvation have eroded or outright destroyed any biblical authority they once had.

My church joined the Continuing Anglican churches long ago and now we're just kind of saying, "So, get on with it already!" The sooner we recognize that these issues are irreconcilable differences, the sooner the rest of us can unite and move on toward renewal.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The vast majority of the membership is no longer residing in the UK and her former colonies; it is a rising tide in Africa and throughout Asia. They have the resources to split. This would shatter the tenuous "community" in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries.

Already Canterbury has become an anachronism in many ways. Their leadership authority rests more on nostalgia than fact in some ways. The various pronouncements on sexuality, the nature of sin, and way to salvation have eroded or outright destroyed any biblical authority they once had.

My church joined the Continuing Anglican churches long ago and now we're just kind of saying, "So, get on with it already!" The sooner we recognize that these issues are irreconcilable differences, the sooner the rest of us can unite and move on toward renewal.
    It seems as if England/the UK is moving in the 'wrong direction' on many issues these days !

Anglican Archbishop Emmanuel Kolini of Rwanda had one of the best answers when asked if the church was being exclusionary and he said "the church welcomes anyone who repents of sins"

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?...8&article=8043

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

In response, Robinson issued a statement: "You name the time and place, and I'll be there for you to sack me! No fats or femmes." :D
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    In response, Robinson issued a statement: "You name the time and place, and I'll be there for you to sack me! No fats or femmes." :D
    LOL! More like:

ISO of spiritual "friends". Must have progressive attitudes. I am open-minded and seek same for mutual guilt-relief and redemption (safe word a must!). Nothing is too bizarre for me but I need a gentle partner to teach me my place in the Communion. Spanking, mild B&D a plus.:D