Thread: Gay marriage.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    No it isn't, what explanation is that for people who aren't Christian or actually want a reason? I could just say in response that there are other species of animal that have homosexuality.
    I am not going to get into a huge debate, but some things are black and white. Marriage, and family are about a man and woman.. they usually make babies together, and that is called a family. It is what it is.

Create another name for gay people... unions.. etc. Just call it something different.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Create another name for gay people... unions.. etc. Just call it something different.
    Well wait, I agree with you, equal rights but the distinction that marriage is a religious ceremony between a man and woman.

Why, do they want to change the definition of the word or something?

It's no more than a control issue. The majority of society has lost enough of that and can't bear any more.

They want to feel masters of the human race, pure and godly, and a great part of that is judgemental.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I saw another thread on it and didn't want to intrude on it.

What's wrong with it? How does it hurt others?
    I don't have a problem with it.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I don't have a problem with it.

Is there a way to make money off it?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    No it isn't, what explanation is that for people who aren't Christian or actually want a reason? I could just say in response that there are other species of animal that have homosexuality.
    There are also species that eat their mate and offspring. Should we then say that it should be considered normal that humans do the same?

This whole topic would be very easy to fix if government were to get out of marriage all together.

Leaving aside the religious arguments (and there are many), marriage is essentially a social/cultural institution for the creation and education of children and the welfare of the elderly. People who are tied by kinship have a vested interest in protecting other members of their family and a willingness to sacrifice for future generations or previous generations. This is good for them and it's good for society as a whole since families promote behavioral stability, economic protection, and some regard for the rule of law. This is true even when individual families don't produce children or take care of the elderly. Enough of the population do it to affect the entire group.

When marriage breaks down due to high divorce rates, serial monogamy, cohabitation, and single-parenting there is a dramatic increase in child poverty rates, child abuse from parental sexual partners, and behavioral problems in children.

Both gay marriage and cohabitation contribute to a general loss of status in the institution of marriage. If anybody can get married in any configuration then there's less reason to take the risk at all since the social benefits of being married have been diluted.

In countries where gay marriage (or a legally identical contract) are in place, heterosexual marriage rates decline rapidly. Worse yet, gay marriages between men are often a non-monogamous arrangement involving numerous extramarital contacts. This further confuses the meaning and usefulness of marriage for heterosexuals.

These are some of the purely secular reasons why marriage loses status and why gay marriage only adds to the problem.

The gay marriage argument is usually made by liberals, right? Yes

The same liberals who openly mock Christianity, right? Yes

The same liberals who embrace evolution, right? Yes

The same evolution that means all animals are here, basically, to reproduce, right? Yes

Then (even throwing religion aside) by the laws that you do believe in, homosexuality is not natural, right?

I didn't make the laws of nature, Darwin did.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    This is just a topic I can't get very exercised about. If gays marry it will have no impact on my marriage, and straights haven't necessarily set a fine example of commitment and fidelity.

As Robin Williams said, "Why shouldn't they have the same opportunity to lose half their stuff as the rest of us?"

Patent Member
    You can't get exercised about state judges usurping the will of the people and the power of the legislature? That is the type of abuse that I think we should all get upset about.