Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wayward Wednesday 
    This heat can stop now. I'm tired of it but my veggies are loving it. We are slowly dropping into the monsoon pattern but so far we have no significant rain.

TOTD: This came up in conversation at work yesterday: is it better to be over-organized or under-organized? That is to say, do you think blow more time getting and staying organized than you would dealing with clutter and searching for the things you need?

This can apply to any environment: work, home, hobbies, etc.

OP surfing contest has downtown in an uproar. A little surf and the clouds should burn off by 11AM.

TOTD: Shop tools - very organized. Have to be. FAA goes nuts if you can’t account for everything - all the time. Home garage tools - just the opposite. I can never find anything. Spend a certain amount of time trying to find something - then give up and go buy new. Same thing with fishing gear. Some local tackle shops have my number in their Rolodex in case they run out of lead sinkers.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This heat can stop now. I'm tired of it but my veggies are loving it. We are slowly dropping into the monsoon pattern but so far we have no significant rain.

TOTD: This came up in conversation at work yesterday: is it better to be over-organized or under-organized? That is to say, do you think blow more time getting and staying organized than you would dealing with clutter and searching for the things you need?

Rained last night at like 3am (the thunder woke me, not horribly loud, but as I am a fairly light sleeper, the rumbling me made awaken) and rained again this morning. I need SOME sunshine so I can wash the cars...

TOTD: As long as being OVER-organized doesn't cause wasted time getting work done, at home or the workplace. It is a pay-off, to me....taking the time to be very organized will cause an increase in productivity instead of wasted time trying to "find things" like you said.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I don't care for excessively codified organizations. They stifle any creativeness and burden the mind with absolute control.Creative people need lots of freedom to the point of absolute 'hands off' !

The best way to deal with critters like these is an occasional pat on the head and a free big bag of M&M's .

Some of the best candidates we had were abject slobs who barley qualified
    as human beings but were artful at thinking beyond the boundaries of convention !

A few would forget to eat or go home to shower and work around the clock and thrive on saltine crackers .

After awhile we would run them off when they began to smell real bad to shower and sleep at home .All of them were addicted to SI Fi and most were fresh from either MIT,Cornell or RPI !

Most spent a good deal of their creative time designing algorithms for games and retooling them to apply to their immediate program designs .

Lots of flight simulators that ended up in high performance aircraft like the F-22 and F-35 originally came from war game Algorithm that some keyboard banger fit into his favorite new game.

Some of the code Used in the LEM, Lunar Excursion Lander Module came from this groups and was 'lifted' from an lunar landing SpaceWar game !

One of the most boring ways of making a living in my humble opinion is to be a part of a task force writing algorithms designed to fit into a rigid predefined Program framework !

Designing Simulation Models for Graphic Engines is another 'Mind Killer',Those 'bangers' at Pixar must smell very bad !
    Last edited by megimoo; 07-23-2008 at 10:29 AM.

TOTD

What is this "Organization" that you speak of?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    TOTD

What is this "Organization" that you speak of?
    Are you addressing Moi ?
    Draper Labs !

We had big thunderstorms last night. I think we will have some wind and rain from Dolly.

TOTD: I manage to be both over and under-organized. I have such wonderful files and labeled containers that I can't bear to have any thing in the wrong place. SO, when I don't feel up to putting things away I toss them in a box for "later".

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    TOTD: I really don't know how to be unorganized. The whole concept frightens me. I think once you have everything organized it takes much less time to find things.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    TOTD: I really don't know how to be unorganized. The whole concept frightens me. I think once you have everything organized it takes much less time to find things.
    Yeah - and some do it to the point their "things" end up owning them.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

TOTD: where does OCD and reformed perfectionism lie in this topic? I'm guilty of one another or both, I can't remember.