Thread: Obama’s health care goal faces big obstacles

1. #1 Obama’s health care goal faces big obstacles 
    Candidate's pledge to lower premiums by $2,500 leaves many skeptical

By Kevin Sack / updated 12:15 a.m. ET July 23, 2008

It is one of the most audacious promises in a campaign that has been thick with them.

In speech after speech, Senator Barack Obama has vowed that he will lower the country’s health care costs enough to "bring down premiums by $2,500 for the typical family." Moreover, Mr. Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has promised that his health plan will be in place "by the end of my first term as president of the United States."

Whether Mr. Obama can deliver is a matter of considerable dispute among health analysts and economists. While there is consensus that the American health care system is bloated with waste, eliminating enough to save $2,500 per family would require simultaneous and synergistic solutions to a host of problems that have proved intractable for decades.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25807026/

* this will be the "meat" of Obama’s defeat.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

noonwitch
    Nobody has any good health care ideas, but they all love to talk about it.

Maybe premiums wouldn't be so high if the cost of medical care wasn't so high. I've got it easy, I get full medical through my employer, and I will allegedly get it free after I retire.

Socialized medicine doesn't work, as Britain and Canada's systems show. Our system works for a lot of people, but some are left out-the solution needs to be finding ways to make our system reach more people than to overhaul the system and lose quality in the process.

Resident Grump
    It is one of the most audacious promises in a campaign that has been thick with them.
    ..the air was so thick with the ObaMessiah's bullshit that Air Traffic Control issued a collision warning.

Again - understand, this is the kind of tripe that will end up Obama’s ‘Achilles Heal’.

If the Republicans wish to hold the White House and ground out all of the silly static electricity Obama’s campaign has / is / and will generate, then they have to show the extra tax burden to the common American worker - this idiotic pie-in-the-sky platform consists of, and go public with it every day.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)