Thread: DC Sniper Executed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    The intent of the death penalty is justice, not revenge, and not deterrence, either. If the perp is bonkers enough, he will be inured to either. He won't give a shit. He will go out and do it, and do it worse.

The only reason for executing someone is that they have done something horrible, something that they are proud of having done, and that they would do again, given the slightest chance. The only reason for executing such a person is that society has legally agreed that they need to be gone, and the risks associated with their incarceration and possible escape or release are too large to be manageable.

If you really want to have millions of people jacking off to televised images of someone getting executed, then go for it, televise it, because I am sure you will bust the current Neilson ratings the first time you do so. There will be big problems arising from taking this step, though.

Televising it will not stop future perps doing the same... in fact, televising it just once will almost guarantee that some will want go out and do the same, in the hope of going out in the same burst of twisted, televised glory.

You have to admit, at the least, that any serious failed jihadi like Hasan would crave a public execution.
    Well, if we did it on pay per view we could pay all the expenses.:D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

The intent of the death penalty is justice, not revenge, and not deterrence, either.
    Sorry, but the intent of the death penalty is deterrence. Whether it works or not is another converstation.
    You have to admit, at the least, that any serious failed jihadi like Hasan would crave a public execution.
    Not with a last meal BLT. Unfortunately that cruel and unusual thingy keeps getting in the way so my creative solutions will have to remain a dream I guess.

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Well, if we did it on pay per view we could pay all the expenses.:D
    That's a good point. :D

Seriously though, witnessing something like this can corrupt the person witnessing it. And even if not, the images are not anything anyone would want to hold on to.