Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Breaking: Novak cited after hitting pedestrian 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Breaking: Novak cited after hitting pedestrian

Novak, 77, has earned a reputation around the capital as an aggressive driver

Syndicated columnist Robert D. Novak was cited by police after he hit a pedestrian with his black Corvette in downtown Washington, D.C., Wednesday morning.

A Politico reporter saw Novak in the front of a police car with a citation in his hand; a WJLA-TV crew and reporter saw Novak as well. The pedestrian, a male in his 60s, was hospitalized at George Washington University Hospital with minor injuries according to the Metro Fire Department. Novak was later released by police and drove away from the scene.

“I didn’t know I hit him,” Novak told Politico. Novak said he was a block away from 18th and K St. NW, where the accident happened, when a bicyclist stopped him and said, "You hit someone." He said he was cited for failing to yield the right of way.

The bicyclist was David Bono, a partner at Harkins Cunningham, who was on his usual bike commute to work at 1700 K St. NW when he saw the accident happen.

As he traveled east on K. Street, crossing 18th, Bono said a "black Corvette convertible with top closed plowed into the guy. The guy is sort of splayed onto the windshield.”

Bono said the pedestrian, who was crossing the street on a "Walk" signal and was in the crosswalk, rolled off the windshield and then Novak made a right into the service lane of K Street. “The car is speeding away. What’s going through my mind is, you just can’t hit a pedestrian and drive away,” Bono said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11985.html

noonwitch
    Senior moment?

You gotta love a 77 year old who tools around in a black Corvette convertable, though.

Power CUer
    Someone dared to get in the way of the Prince of Darkness on his majestic progress through town? Then he deserved to be squashed like the bug he is. Peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Someone dared to get in the way of the Prince of Darkness on his majestic progress through town? Then he deserved to be squashed like the bug he is. Peasant.
    You are confused.here is the real Prince of Darkness, Richard N. Perle:

Known in Washington circles as "The Prince of Darkness," Perle is associated with the American Enterprise Institute and the Project for the New American Century, both of which have been prominent behind-the-scenes architects of the Bush administration's foreign policy, in particular its push for war with Iraq.
    That name given to Novak was a forgery !

Power CUer
    It's been his nickname in the Washington press corps for years. :p

It's been his nickname in the Washington press corps for years. :p
    copycat nom de plume !

WASHINGTON Syndicated columnist Robert Novak says he has been issued a $50 citation after hitting a pedestrian while driving in downtown Washington.

Witnesses say the collision occurred about 10 a.m. Wednesday as the 77-year-old Novak was traveling near K Street in his black Chevrolet Corvette.

D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter said the victim was taken to George Washington University hospital with minor injuries.

Novak tells WJLA-TV he was cited for failing to yield the right of way. He says he didn't realize what happened and continued driving until a bicyclist stopped him.

David Bono, the bicyclist who witnessed the incident, told The Associated Press that the pedestrian was hit in a crosswalk and was splayed across Novak's windshield
    hmm, the stories of Novak and Bono are sure different.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    copycat nom de plume !
    Then he's doing the copycatting. He gave the title to his own memoir.

Agree. It must have been fate that an attorney was the witness against him. How can you "not notice" if someone was on your windshield and rolls off?

It must have been a senior moment for Novak----or just plain viciousness. My mom hit a truck that was in the street of her subdivision and just kept on going. Her explanation---she'd be late for her doctor's appointment. I had to explain to her later that hit and run isn't a good thing. She told me they were parked too far out in the street. I told her that's why they put steering wheels in a car---to turn! :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Oh, dear. Is it time to take Mom's car keys away? :(