Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What is Terrorism 
    I was thinking about this the other night so I will put the question(s) to the members of CU. What is your criteria for an action to be considered a terrorist act and does the Ft. Hood event meet that standard?

I see a terroristic act as one that is attempting to incite fear in the general population of the country it is aimed at and causing that population to alter it's behavior because of that fear. Using that as my standard, I don't see Ft. Hood so much as a terrorist act as it seems to be an action expressly aimed at the military to show it that infiltration of the ranks has been achieved. Indirectly it is an act of terrorism because of the way people responded to it, but I don't see terrorism at it's main goal.

Please, I don't want some big argument started here, I'm just interested in everyone opinions.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Judge Napolitano on FOX said that the legal definition includes this - (paraphrased) 2 or more acts of violence with intent to cause change to American policy/law.

SOmething like that.

I say terrorism is any violent (or implied violence like a threat) against people that terrorizes.

Fort Hood was terrorism - under both Judge Napolitano and my definitions.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Given that the FH killings have terrorised the families of the soldiers he killed and injured, and wrecked those families, it qualifies as a terrorist act. The fact that he effectively infiltrated the service to carry out his acts also qualifies.

He may not have conspired with AQ, but he still committed an act of terrorism (and treason) in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Judge Napolitano on FOX said that the legal definition includes this - (paraphrased) 2 or more acts of violence with intent to cause change to American policy/law.

SOmething like that.

I say terrorism is any violent (or implied violence like a threat) against people that terrorizes.

Fort Hood was terrorism - under both Judge Napolitano and my definitions.
    Then is not war an act of terrorism since it meets your criteria?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

it seems to be an action expressly aimed at the military to show it that infiltration of the ranks has been achieved
    Hence, to strike fear in ranks of the military.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Given that the FH killings have terrorised the families of the soldiers he killed and injured, and wrecked those families, it qualifies as a terrorist act. The fact that he effectively infiltrated the service to carry out his acts also qualifies.

He may not have conspired with AQ, but he still committed an act of terrorism (and treason) in my view.
    I don't think that one has to act in concert with anyone else in order to perform a terroristic act. Timothy McVey was pretty much a lone wolf but was certianly a terrorist. If the 9/11 highjackers would have operated on their own, separate form Al Queda they would still be terrorist.

The question here is not whether the families of those killed were terrorized by the event because they most certainly were, the question is was that the shooter's primary intention?

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Exactly, and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator
    the question is was that the shooter's primary intention?
    There has been enough evidence surfacing this week about his motivations. He seems to have been blatant enough about expressing them. As much as President Obama and the NYT don't want to admit it, they're all out there in the open for all to see.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 11-12-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    But isn't that risk a part of their job? When Pearl Harbor was bombed that wasn't considered a terrorist attack. It was an act of war. Civilians where killed in the bombing but the death or terrorizing of civilians was not the main objective, neutralizing Pearl Harbor was the objective.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Exactly, and their families.

There has been enough evidence surfacing this week about his motivations. He seems to have been blatant enough about expressing them. As much as President Obama and the NYT don't want to admit it, they're all out there in the open for all to see.
    I will ask you, was Pearl Harbor a terrorist act? It meets much of the criteria you have established but to my knowledge it has never been described as a terrorist action.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I will ask you, was Pearl Harbor a terrorist act? It meets much of the criteria you have established but to my knowledge it has never been described as a terrorist action.
    It was a sneak attack. Not quite the same thing. The Japanese supposedly intended to formally declare war immediately prior to Pearl Harbor, but the attack came first through a bungled communique.

If you have two armies or combined arms going against each other that is war, declared or not, not terrorism. It may also have the effect of terrorising the civilian populations, but it's still symmetric, not asymmetric warfare.

If you have a non-governmental group or individual attacking either civilian or military targets, that's terrorism, even if the perpetrator has successfully infiltrated an armed service as in this case.