Thread: What is Terrorism

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    No it was not. The Japanese were uniformed enemies fighting under the flag AND uniform of their country. These hadji's fight for their own personal belief that the West is evil incarnate and cannot fight a modern military force head on so they resort to the cowardly tactic of fighting unarmed civilians.
    OK, it is acting outside of the sanction of a government that constitutes terrorism. What if we find out one day that the 9/11 highjackers where acting under the orders of Saudi Arabia with the kingdoms full knowledge and support. Would that mean the Trade Center attack should be reclassified as a military action?

As for beliefs, aren't there some sort of beliefs involved in all wars? Weren't the Japanese under the impression that they were superior to everyone else and thus entitled to treat prisoners like non-humans. Is there a difference if a japanese soldier in uniform cut off some ones head or an arab in tribal robes? The Japanese believed that the rest of the world was not as good as them, Muslims believe that the rest of the world is not as Godly as they are. What is the difference?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    It's ALL semantics. Good rule of thumb is, "Does it pass the smell test?"
    But that is what this whole thread is about... semantics. For me, it doesn't pass the smell test and I am reluctant to think of it as a terrorist act. Now information maybe uncovered that changes my mind. At this moment I see this as not too different than some kid shooting up a school because the jocks pushed him around.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    A very, very good thread, this is. I thank FlaGator for starting it.

His point about semantical desensitisation is a good one. At the end of the day, though, the smell test wins, definitely in this case.

You have to look at motive and intention, as well as method. When you do this, the method becomes secondary, as appalling as the method is.

The motive and intention with Malik Hasan was to destroy lives and lay ruin to families to further an Islamist agenda. Other than the scale, there is no difference between his crime and the crime of hijacking an aircraft and flying it into an office building. The motivations and intentions behind each are identical.

Additionally, Hasan has caused substantial and lasting damage to the standing of more honourable, decent Muslims who serve in the US armed forces. And it might be well worth our while considering that this was also a significant part of his motivation, part of his plan.

Last year and the year before, in the UK, our intelligence services uncovered Islamist plots to murder Muslim members of our armed forces whilst in the UK, presumably to deter other Muslims from fighting in the infidel's armies.

Hasan has found a diabolically smarter way to achieve the same end. What better deterrent could there be than to know that you, as a Muslim, will no longer be trusted by your comrades.

Like Noonwitch, I can understand why the WH and the media did not immediately label this a terrorist act. The facts were not in. All we knew at first was that a muslim US Army officer had murdered 14 people.

What is really dismaying is that now that the facts are emerging, there still seems to be reluctance on the part of the WH and liberal media to call it what it now very much seems to be.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 11-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    But that is what this whole thread is about... semantics. For me, it doesn't pass the smell test and I am reluctant to think of it as a terrorist act. Now information maybe uncovered that changes my mind. At this moment I see this as not too different than some kid shooting up a school because the jocks pushed him around.
    But this wasn't because he was pushed around. This was driven by religion, plain and simple. I don't care if he drank and smoked. I drink, cuss, and smoke (occasionally), but I still hold my religious beliefs close to my heart.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

But this wasn't because he was pushed around. This was driven by religion, plain and simple. I don't care if he drank and smoked. I drink, cuss, and smoke (occasionally), but I still hold my religious beliefs close to my heart.
    I have to agree.

This is not anywhere close to a Columbine bullied kid problem. It's a million light years from being anywhere close to that.

He is an adult, a Muslim, a soldier in the US Army, who, for whatever twisted rationale, deliberately used his status to destroy lives in order to further an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I have to agree.

This is not anywhere close to a Columbine bullied kid problem. It's a million light years from being anywhere close to that.

He is an adult, a Muslim, a soldier in the US Army, who, for whatever twisted rationale, deliberately used his status to destroy lives in order to further an agenda.
    ..and no one was allowed to formally investigate or report him for fear of reprimand in our diversity rich military.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

..and no one was allowed to formally investigate or report him for fear of reprimand in our diversity rich military.
    Yes, that is a real problem, both in government and civilian organisations around the developed world at the moment.

The only good that might come out of this is that the uber-PC brigade will be forced to rethink their policies.

Both sides of the argument have been allowed to flip too far to the extremes. We see this more and more frequently, even here on CU. The hysterical rantings of the imminent dhimmification crowd are matched in equal or worse measure by the uber-PC crowd.

Maybe, just maybe, this wretched Hassan will have inadvertently made a more intelligent debate possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Yes, that is a real problem, both in government and civilian organisations around the developed world at the moment.

The only good that might come out of this is that the uber-PC brigade will be forced to rethink their policies.

Both sides of the argument have been allowed to flip too far to the extremes. We see this more and more frequently, even here on CU. The hysterical rantings of the imminent dhimmification crowd are matched in equal or worse measure by the uber-PC crowd.

Maybe, just maybe, this wretched Hassan will have inadvertently made a more intelligent debate possible.

I wouldn't bet on it.

I wouldn't bet on it.
    Neither would I. I have hopes, though. We shall see.

I think it's worth the effort, personally. The thought of having either side's whackjobs win the debate are not at all pleasant.

I would like to label him dead! As soon as possible.