Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Obama Bows Towards Japanese Emperor 

How low will the new American president go for the world's royalty?

This photo will get Democrat President Obama a lot of approving nods in Japan this weekend, especially among the older generation of Japanese who still pay attention to the royal family living in its downtown castle. Very low bows like this are a sign of great respect and deference for a superior.

To some in the United States, however, an upright handshake might have looked better. Remember Michelle Obama casually patting Britain's Queen Elizabeth on the back during their Buckingham Palace visit? America's royalty tends to make movies and get bad reviews and lots of money as a sign of respect.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...ito-japan.html

I figure I'll post this before someone else does.

I think this is different from the Saudi event though, in Japan a bow is basically a handshake or a sign of respect, the question is though - is Obama giving the nation of Japan the governing rights of America via this act?
    Last edited by bijou; 11-14-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: To comply with B/N rules

That's okay. It was overdone, but okay.
    All he had to do was a head nod and 'bow' from the shoulders or so.
    (I lived there .. that's what we all did).

It's the bow to kiss the feet of the Saudi King that is really bad.

The Japanese thing really isn't anything.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post

Huzzah!

Another facepalm incident. The President of the United States isn't suppose to bow to anyone. This man is a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    Another facepalm incident. The President of the United States isn't suppose to bow to anyone. This man is a tool.
    Jaaaaislijk... he really is a tool.

I thought the pic might be faked when I saw it. But it's the real deal.

Just fuckin' horrible to see a thing like this. :eek::( He really doesn't have a goddamn clue.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I tend to agree with GOL, no big deal.

I agree, bowing is very common in Japan, and is used as a basic greeting and farewell.

OT, but when and where did you live in Japan? I lived there from 1996-98, teaching English on the JET Program. I lived about 1 hour south of Osaka, in Wakayama prefecture. Japan is a great place.
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

I'm sorry, but the sight of any leader bowing down to any another like that really disturbs me.

Doesn't matter who it is. It just is not right. There is something deeply wrong about this.

If it really is needed, a slight downward turn of the head is sufficient. There is no need for anyone to make a right angle like that. That anyone should do that, off their own bat, is demeaning.

I'm sorry, but that pic bothers me on all sorts of levels, maybe some of them wrong, but .... What we're seeing there is. just. not. right. It is so bad, that it hurts to look.

The more I see this kind of thing, the more I thing America picked the wrong person last November.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I wonder if the emperor returned the favor?

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I'm sorry, but the sight of any leader bowing down to any another like that really disturbs me.

Doesn't matter who it is. It just is not right. There is something deeply wrong about this.

If it really is needed, a slight downward turn of the head is sufficient. There is no need for anyone to make a right angle like that. That anyone should do that, off their own bat, is demeaning.

I'm sorry, but that pic bothers me on all sorts of levels, maybe some of them wrong, but .... What we're seeing there is. just. not. right. It is so bad, that it hurts to look.

The more I see this kind of thing, the more I thing America picked the wrong person last November.
    I was taught that the best way to handle greetings when I was in Japan is let the Japanese person make the first move. If they bow to you, return the bow. If they offer to shake your hand, then shake their hand. But you don't need to, and shouldn't, bow while you shake hands. So that part is probably Obumbler's ignorance of protocol rather than a real show of subservience, since bowing like that is just a form of greeting in Japan. If he were to do a real Japanese bow of subservience, he'd be on his knees, hands on the ground, and bowing his head to the floor.
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson