Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Cupping and colonics: GPs expose top 10 most useless celebrity-inspired health therap 
    Cupping and colonics: GPs expose top 10 most useless celebrity-inspired health therapies

By Fiona Macrae
    Last updated at 8:24 AM on 11th November 2009

Celebrity backing has been the making of many an alternative health treatment. But some of these fads are a waste of time and money and could even be dangerous, according to doctors. Four in five women splash out on alternative treatments used by the rich and famous even though there is little or no evidence that they work, research found.

Some could be putting their health at risk by choosing 'therapies' favoured by celebrities over a visit to their GP. Cupping, a form of acupuncture in which heated cups are placed on the skin to stimulate blood flow and ease stress and pain, tops a list of 'health hoaxes' identified by GPs.

It has been used by actress Gwyneth Paltrow, but studies have shown that the evidence it works is far from conclusive.

Second on the list is colonic irrigation, in which a large, water-filled tube is used to 'cleanse' the bowel. Actor Ben Affleck has tried it, but there is no medical or scientific evidence it works, according to the NHS Choices website.

In third place is food intolerance testing, which singer Geri Halliwell has tried. Kits can cost up to 275 but the results are said to be highly variable.

The others in the top ten are: 4 detoxing; 5 macrobiotic diets; 6 aromatherapy; 7 reflexology; 8 vitamin B12 injections; 9 extreme yoga; 10 overnight health farm stays. The list was compiled by insurance firm Aviva from a survey of 200 GPs.

Dr Douglas Wright, of Aviva's health arm, said: 'Too many women are wasting money following health fads that have little effect. 'What's more worrying is that some are opting for treatment trends rather than seeking medical advice - they might not be fashionable but tried and tested health routes are safer and more beneficial.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0X8nKEwQJ
    "Detoxing" - biggest rip-off of the new century and one that's been around for 5,000 years. :D

Bumping for bogus-bashing.

Power CUer
    A colonic is just an enema, right?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    A colonic is just an enema, right?
    You poor girl. An enema is something some allopathic egomaniac makes you do before a particularly humiliating medical procedure. A colonic is a cleansing, quasi-spiritual experience designed to rid your body of toxins and elevate your aura to its proper level.

I can't believe I have to explain these things. :D

Sounds like a load of crap to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Sounds like a load of crap to me!
    Shouldn't you be grinding up lichen and selling it to high-end spas as a beauty treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Shouldn't you be grinding up lichen and selling it to high-end spas as a beauty treatment?
    You lichen me to someone else!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You lichen me to someone else!
    You wish. :p

Seriously, with the right packaging and PR, I don't see why you couldn't. You could even combine it with goat dung for an enhanced experience. If they pay like $300 bucks for a Nightingale poop facial, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You wish. :p

Seriously, with the right packaging and PR, I don't see why you couldn't. You could even combine it with goat dung for an enhanced experience. If they pay like $300 bucks for a Nightingale poop facial, I don't see why this wouldn't work.
    That is just nasty, do people really put poo on their face? Other than mental patients of course.:eek:
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    That is just nasty, do people really put poo on their face? Other than mental patients of course.:eek:
    Dude, they get on waiting lists for the privilege. If you think that's the grossest thing vain, over-moneyed women do in the name of trendy beauty, you need educatin' :D