Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Palin Cover Shot Called 'Sexist'. 
    Palin Newsweek cover in shorts: Comparing Obama Newsweek.com photos with Sarah Palin's shorts cover

November 17, 11:49 AMCleveland Pop Culture ExaminerPaula Mooney

(PRNewsFoto/NEWSWEEK)The View has just addressed the Newsweek cover "shorts gate" controversy that Sarah Palin has called sexist and demeaning.

Using Google Images to compare photos of President Obama that have appeared in Newsweek.com, no immediately unflattering images of Obama on Newsweek's cover or within their magazines pages have come to the forefront -- unless one takes umbrage to a band-aid on the President's nose, perhaps.

The point being, Newsweek didn't take that shirtless photo of President Obama in excellent shape and slap that on their cover photo the way they did with Sarah Palin in running shorts -- also in excellent shape.

Ironically Newsweek.com journalists wrote about The New Yorker's controversial cover of President Obama and First Lady Michelle depicted as terrorists during the campaign, with Newsweek writers landing on both sides of the issue.

"This cover of Newsweek I think was so disrespectful to Sarah Palin," Sherri Shepherd said on Tuesday's episode of The View, after Barbara Walters held up a copy of the Newsweek issue and asked the panel, "What do you think of this?"

"Why?" Joy Behar asked. "She looks great. What is the problem with it?"

"This is a woman who has very serious views...but you don't put her on the cover with little shorts on," Barbara Walters said.

"She said 'I thought it was cheesy,'" Walters said, repeating Palin's GMA interview comments with Barbara Walters that began airing today in snippets on Good Morning America, later Tuesday on Nightline.

"You have to remember that she was a beauty queen and entered a pageant," Behar said about Sarah Palin's former life.

"This is not a way that we should be addressing women in politics," Elisabeth Hasselbeck said.

"One of the things that we have begun to do is to take stuff and put it out of context," Whoopi Goldberg said. "I don't think if Newsweek would have asked her for a series of photos that she would have given them this. It's a snipe. Maybe it's a liberal magazine--"

"It's not a liberal magazine, Newsweek, not at all," Behar protested.

"We'd be just as upset if they did that to Hillary Clinton," Whoopi said, surmising, "it's a women's issue."
    Examiner

Power CUer
    The headline seems to be more problematic than the picture. :o :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    The left wishes that that was an unflattering picture of Sarah. She looks great and the Democrats wish that one of their own was hot enough to grace the cover of Newsweek in the same outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The headline seems to be more problematic than the picture. :o :p
    The pic is a problem. As the article points out, no one is running Obama's famous half naked pic over a serious discussion of his presidency. It's demaning (and I'm sure it's intentional). I'm not very sensitive to sexist alarmism but this crosses a line.

I was plesantly surprised to read Whoopi's intellectually honest remarks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The pic is a problem. As the article points out, no one is running Obama's famous half naked pic over a serious discussion of his presidency. It's demaning (and I'm sure it's intentional). I'm not very sensitive to sexist alarmism but this crosses a line.

I was plesantly surprised to read Whoopi's intellectually honest remarks. :)
    Same here. I thought Whoopi was as lost as the other usual liberals. Behar claiming Newsweek isn't liberal is typical though.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    I don't know why she posed for the picture. Even if it was for a running magazine, she could have considered whether that was the way she wanted to be presented. Apparently, it was.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Why didn't the great newsweek just run with this one.....

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    Presumably you know that one was a photoshop. :)

Presumably you know that one was a photoshop. :)

It wouldn't matter to them anyway!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I don't know why she posed for the picture. Even if it was for a running magazine, she could have considered whether that was the way she wanted to be presented. Apparently, it was.
    I think it's impossible for a public figure to avoid any photops that portray them in a less than serious light. Runners don't wear skirted suits to do their thing. It's not just a female thing - all serious runners wear shorts.