Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Do you kneel to pray? (If you pray) 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I love to visit worship services of different religious groups. One of the things I have noticed is the posture of prayer in public worship.

Some churches stand to pray. Others kneel to pray. Still others may have the person leading prayer stand while the congregation kneels. I have also seen the exact opposite be true, where the congregation stands and the person leading in prayer kneels.

That is public prayer, but I also wonder about private prayer. As I've said, faith can be difficult for me, but I do pray. Sometimes I kneel to pray. Sometimes I stand. Most often, I am walking and am in prayer at the same time. I have even been in prayer while driving (with my eyes open, of course.)

If you pray, what is/are your posture or postures of prayer?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I love to visit worship services of different religious groups. One of the things I have noticed is the posture of prayer in public worship.

Some churches stand to pray. Others kneel to pray. Still others may have the person leading prayer stand while the congregation kneels. I have also seen the exact opposite be true, where the congregation stands and the person leading in prayer kneels.

That is public prayer, but I also wonder about private prayer. As I've said, faith can be difficult for me, but I do pray. Sometimes I kneel to pray. Sometimes I stand. Most often, I am walking and am in prayer at the same time. I have even been in prayer while driving (with my eyes open, of course.)

If you pray, what is/are your posture or postures of prayer?
    Not outside, you get goat poop on your knees!

Power CUer
    Episcopalians do kneel. Some of us use the pew behind us for butt support. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Sure, sometimes. Kneeling in traditional Christianity (Protestant or Catholic) is a posture that expresses humility and obeisance. It's a physical form that says, "I'm not all that...."

In church, we generally pray either standing or sitting. I, personally, often pray while driving...40 miles each way to work, lots of time. (Eyes open, of course.) I have also prayed on while kneeling, and in that kneeling-head to floor position you see Muslims assume... and flat on my face, when I was fasting and praying about something very important to me.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

True. I'm not even questioning or discussing, at this point, the content of the prayer because that communication is based on the heart of a believer relating to or communing with The Almighty.

But to me the physical posture of prayer can accentuate the experience of prayer by physically, outwardly, manifesting a posture of the body that corresponds to the position of the heart of the person offering the prayer to God.

I can relate it to the sights and sounds and even the smells of a worship service. Candles, incense, music, the reading of Scripture, all these things can add an amazing dimension to public worship.

When I walk into church and smell the scent of good beeswax candles I get a sense of connectness to the Almighty that it is palpable. It does not, in any way, supplant the content of Scripture or the homily or the Prayers of the People or the music, but it inclines my heart in such a way as to lay bare a portion of my will and my intellect that I guard very carefully at every other time.

I have rarely found this in private prayer and worship. Perhaps this is indicative of the communal nature of our Faith and the intent of the Almighty that we worship together.

I just find it facsinating.

In the Episcopal church I attend we pray both standing and kneeling. Now from a personal perspective when I pray alone I prefer to pray on my knees but I pray really often. I'll pray when I sitting in my vehicle driving, when I walking some were, when I sitting at my desk working or even laying in bed just thinking. I don't think that it really matters how you pray but that you pray and pray often. I believe in staying in constant touch with God.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    When I walk into church and smell the scent of good beeswax candles I get a sense of connectness to the Almighty that it is palpable. It does not, in any way, supplant the content of Scripture or the homily or the Prayers of the People or the music, but it inclines my heart in such a way as to lay bare a portion of my will and my intellect that I guard very carefully at every other time.

I have rarely found this in private prayer and worship. Perhaps this is indicative of the communal nature of our Faith and the intent of the Almighty that we worship together.

I just find it facsinating.
    Or you don't have an area of your environment dedicated to prayer and spiritual exercise. I do and when I go there and close the door, I have a very sensory experience. While I'm a member of the Via Media, this isn't wholly foreign to Protestants either. Many people have a special place in their homes that is dedicated to spiritual study and prayer - your "closet", if you will. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    In the Episcopal church I attend we pray both standing and kneeling. Now from a personal perspective when I pray alone I prefer to pray on my knees but I pray really often. I'll pray when I sitting in my vehicle driving, when I walking some were, when I sitting at my desk working or even laying in bed just thinking. I don't think that it really matters how you pray but that you pray and pray often. I believe in staying in constant touch with God.
    There is a verse that says Pray without ceasing.

Perhaps that is what it means.

I usually pray sitting, unless I'm in a group then it's standing, I kneel at the bed before I go to sleep. I don't know that it really matters as long as you pray.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson