Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    What I saw .. my experience down there .. left the impression on me that it was a power thing
    and it was cold and distant. What those parents did to those poor kids was awful.

I never say sir or maam to this day.
    The behavior of those people beat any desire to do so out of me.
    I'll call older people 'Mr _____ ' or 'Mrs ____ ' ...
    That's respectful and not subservient (which is what those parents were pounding into their children).
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    What I saw .. my experience down there .. left the impression on me that it was a power thing
    and it was cold and distant.
    Good thing you moved to New England, where everyone is so polite and hospitable. Instead of all us rude, stuck up southerners.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Good thing you moved to New England, where everyone is so polite and hospitable. Instead of all us rude, stuck up southerners.
    Delaware isn't new england.
    But yes .. people here mind their own business much better.
    Down there the first thing they always said was 'what church do you go to?'
    And then if you didn't go to the 'right' church, you got the sneer and comments from 'em.
    Of course .. there were the Klan meetings that I was invited to.
    That was real polite of 'em to invite me.
    That is .. until they found out I wasn't a WASP .. then the invitations stopped and the
    comments about going to hell started.

And the kiddies who still got paddled in the schools ..
    that was really polite and hospitable of them thar' teachers.

:p Yes .. lovely place Alabama. :p

Power CUer
    Delaware isn't new england.
    To southerners, it is. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Delaware isn't new england. As far as we're concerned it is.

But yes .. people here mind their own business much better. That's because they don't give a shit about their nieghbor.
    Down there the first thing they always said was 'what church do you go to?' How dare they.
    And then if you didn't go to the 'right' church, you got the sneer and comments from 'em. That's true.
    Of course .. there were the Klan meetings that I was invited to. I'm not gonna call someone a liar, so...
    That was real polite of 'em to invite me.
    That is .. until they found out I wasn't a WASP .. then the invitations stopped and the
    comments about going to hell started. Yes, everyone down here thinks all non whites are going to hell.

And the kiddies who still got paddled in the schools .. And they got another when they got home, and they didn't sass their teachers (called them ma'am), and didn't shoot up the schools. Damn that discipline.:mad:
    that was really polite and hospitable of them thar' teachers. It was, they helped teach consequences for your actions. Ask the DUmmies how they feel about paddlings.
    :p Yes .. lovely place Alabama. Alabama IS a shithole, though.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

I grew up with the Ma'am/Sir thing. It would be a rare family where children were required to use those terms with their parents on a 24/7 basis. So rare that I've never seen it. You throw in the Ma'am/Sir thing during very serious discussions to indicate your rapt attention or it's used with parents in a sort of humorous way, "You keep dating that no-account and you'll regret it. - "Yes, Ma'am!".

I think GOL might be mistaking inferiority for formality. You Sir/Ma'am customers because it's a short-term business relationship where it would be awkward and off-putting to get on a first-name basis. You Sir/Ma'am strangers you're giving assistance to (medically, financially, etc.) to blunt the edge of a dependent relationship and to give them back some personal space. You Sir/Ma'am older people and people who have an authoritative reputation out of implied respect. You can always go back to, "You bitch/bastard" if the respect isn't warranted.

I think first-naming strangers on short-acquaintance outside of the workplace is kind of creepy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Yep, those Yankees are so hospitable. I just came back from Orange Beach Al and got on the elevator with 4 crude, rude New Yorkers who owned a Condo there. Most of the snowbirds are from the Midwest. I find them very hospitable. Glad most of the Yankees prefer the Florida beaches in the winter. Betcha you do not hear too many Southerners retiring up north do you? With their high property taxes and high cost of living, I wonder why.

That's because they don't give a shit about their nieghbor.
    Not true.
    You can be nice and have friends, and NOT get into their business.
    There is a difference.

How dare they.
    It's invasive and none of their business.

I'm not gonna call someone a liar, so...
    God's honest truth. I was there two weeks and I started to get invitations to a Klan meeting.
    I was blonde .. white .. and they figured I was with the 'right' church'.

Yes, everyone down here thinks all non whites are going to hell.
    No - it had to do with not going to the 'right' church.
    And speaking of generalizing .. you did a mighty fine job of that saying that people
    here don't give a shit about their neighbors just because they mind their own business. :p

and didn't shoot up the schools.
    There were guns in the schools there. And metal detectors at the doors.
    And shootings in Louisiana while I was in Alabama.
    Southern kids are not stopped from being shooters because they are forced to say 'sir/maam'.
    And they aren't any better behaved because some teachers abuse them with paddles.

Alabama IS a shithole, though.
    We agree.
    Georgia is much nicer.
    The Carolinas as well.
    Alabama and Mississippi ... gawd awful!

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    you do not hear too many Southerners retiring up north do you? With their high property taxes and high cost of living, I wonder why.
    My neighbor in Alabama said to me ... (I swear this is true) ... she said - 'I don't know where montana is and I don't care. I'll never go there. It's the kind of thing you have to learn to get out of high school and then you can forget about it'.

The brainless wonder had never been outside of Alabama except to go to the beach in Florida and shop in Atlanta. Yes .. middle class and her husband was a lawyer.

Power CUer
    I've never been to Montana either, and I have no interest in going, but I DO know it's one of the big rectangular(ish) states, which are mostly north of the big square states. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken