Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think GOL might be mistaking inferiority for formality.
    That very well could be.
    Perhaps they were all being formal.
    I still find it very cold to make a 3 year old be so formal with parents.
    But whatever ... they can do what they want.
    Thankfully, I escaped.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've never been to Montana either, and I have no interest in going, but I DO know it's one of the big rectangular(ish) states, which are mostly north of the big square states. :)
    I'm sure you'd be able to find it on a map. This dipstick couldn't and had no desire to know where it was. ANything outside of Alabama, Atlanta, and the Florida Panhandle beaches was of no interest to her.

What got me was that she said she had to know where it was to get out of high school

My daughter learned all the states in 3rd grade.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    What got me was that she said she had to know where it was to get out of high school

Couldn't she just have gotten knocked up? Just another way to accomplish the same thing. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    My neighbor in Alabama said to me ... (I swear this is true) ... she said - 'I don't know where montana is and I don't care. I'll never go there. It's the kind of thing you have to learn to get out of high school and then you can forget about it'.

The brainless wonder had never been outside of Alabama except to go to the beach in Florida and shop in Atlanta. Yes .. middle class and her husband was a lawyer.
    So what. I live next to a neighbor who is a lawyer who has beach towels in his windows. I put up a 8' fence when he would not clean his place up. I don't know of any place you can live that you are guaranteed good neighbors. Like I said, I had the misfortune of bumping into some uncouth, crass Yankees from NY when I went to the beach last week.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 11-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.

That very well could be.
    Perhaps they were all being formal.
    I still find it very cold to make a 3 year old be so formal with parents.
    But whatever ... they can do what they want.
    Thankfully, I escaped.
    If the kid had been acting up and if the mother wanted to make sure that the child understood the seriousness of mother's displeasure then requiring a "yes, Ma'am" wouldn't be unusual but it wouldn't indicate anything about the day-to-day way the child addressed the mother, either.

This would fall under the first category in my post, not the formality category. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I don't know of any place you can live that you are guaranteed good neighbors. .
    I agree.

But the stereotype that southerners are all polite and that (getting back to the topic)
    maam/sir is always a sign of respect ... I disagree with those.
    Last edited by GrumpyOldLady; 11-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Banned
    I agree.

But the stereotype that southerners are all polite and that (getting back to the topic)
    maam/sir is always a sign of respect ... I disagree with those.
    I disagree with kids that show no respect for their elders by using slang words like yep and yeah. Kids today certainly need to show more respect than less in my opinion.

I do not use ma'am/sir very often but did when I was young. When I get caught for speeding, I use the term yes sir and most of the time I get off with a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I grew up with the Ma'am/Sir thing. It would be a rare family where children were required to use those terms with their parents on a 24/7 basis. So rare that I've never seen it. You throw in the Ma'am/Sir thing during very serious discussions to indicate your rapt attention or it's used with parents in a sort of humorous way, "You keep dating that no-account and you'll regret it. - "Yes, Ma'am!".

I think GOL might be mistaking inferiority for formality. You Sir/Ma'am customers because it's a short-term business relationship where it would be awkward and off-putting to get on a first-name basis. You Sir/Ma'am strangers you're giving assistance to (medically, financially, etc.) to blunt the edge of a dependent relationship and to give them back some personal space. You Sir/Ma'am older people and people who have an authoritative reputation out of implied respect. You can always go back to, "You bitch/bastard" if the respect isn't warranted.

I think first-naming strangers on short-acquaintance outside of the workplace is kind of creepy.
    Ma'am/Sir is used all day long by me with patients, customers, neighbors & the public. No one complains. If they did complain, I would blow it off, as they clearly have issues.

I don't overuse the terms...but they are nice to get a persons attention that is looking the other way...."sir can I help you." Then the old bastard knows to turn around. :D
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 11-18-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I use them. I only like ma'am to be said to me when it's another southerner. I was raised to call all of my friends parents and my mother's friends "Mrs." By the time I had Tristan, everybody had apparantly decided that they should be referred to as "Miss (insert first name)". I tried to fight it but I just gave up after awhile.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I use them. I only like ma'am to be said to me when it's another southerner. I was raised to call all of my friends parents and my mother's friends "Mrs." By the time I had Tristan, everybody had apparantly decided that they should be referred to as "Miss (insert first name)". I tried to fight it but I just gave up after awhile.
    Thank you Miss Shannon!