Thread: Hey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hey 
    Banned
    Hey there

I'm new. I'm 19, and currently a registered Democrat--However I have deep reservations about the policies of the Democratic party, and indeed, of the country, under Obama. I'm a Democrat mainly because of social issues however on the issues of defense, gays in the military, terrorism, and immigration my feet are squarely on the conservative side. I don't believe terrorism can or should be ever treated as a criminal issue, and as someone who lives in NYC, bringing KSM to trial here is not only wrong and foolish but I believe could potentially be very dangerous. I also believe that we should secure our borders here at home as much as we secure our position worldwide--I DO NOT believe in amnesty.

I believe in some government programs--NASA and the VA. I believe in some goverment regulation of industry but not over-regulation, and I believe businesses who create American jobs should be rewarded by having their capital gains cut in half or given a tax credit. I agree with agencies such as the Dept of Ed., EPA, OSHA, etc--on;y because I believe that they provide good coordination between the state agencies and allow for continuity and coordination of resources in those fields--It's a lot more efficient than having a bunch of agencies with little funding doing different versions of the same thing.

I don't believe in welfare and I believe Medicaid should be funded by the states. I believe Social Security isn't a hand out, and Medicare is good for our elderly, who deserve the best treatment possible, but that we must find new ways of funding them so as not to add to the debt.

I believe reducing and eventually eliminating our debt, as well as becoming energy independent, are two of the most important goals our country should work to achieve. We should be the world's creditor, not the world's debtor. I also believe that America NEEDs, not should, start producing again--it is imperative. I don't believe we need to go back on the Gold Standard, like a lot of libertarians say, but that we need to stop spending like crazy and actually manage our money right--Set good budgets, spend within our means, do not borrow. We can do that with a little common sense without the Gold Standard.

I don't believe in Obama's healthcare plan. I believe in a separation of church and state, but I don't believe God should be banished from our society.

As far as culture, I am pretty old fashioned. I believe in the idea of the "Greatest Generation" and that the Activists,Anti-War people and the New Left of the 1960s did a lot to intentionally harm America, and still are doing so today in an attempt to destroy what this country stands for. I believe a lot of members of the '60s generation were incredibly spoiled and were ungrateful, holding no real love for their country. I believe that when we got rid of the worst elements of society (segregation, etc), we also got rid of the best at the same time.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 11-18-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: U

Power CUer
    Welcome to CU. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Welcome!!!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Welcome to CU!
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

You may not be conservative but you are closer to Republican then Democrat. You need to remedy that. Oh and by the way, welcome

You seem to be an independant thinker, you may be a Libertairian. Welcome. :)
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

7. #7 Go 
    I am not a Republican either but, like you, a conservitive. The Dems seem to be pushing anyone short of Karl Marx out of the party. Welcome.
    ________
    Buy Vapor Tower
    Last edited by obx; 03-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Welcome to CU!
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

At least here you will have the chance to debate on issues of contention. :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

WHAT - a registered DEMOCRAT :eek: No TOMBSTONE!!!!!

Just kidding. Welcome aboard
    :D