Thread: How to get ancestors' VA records?

1. #1 How to get ancestors' VA records? 
    Banned
    I'm trying to get medical records for some of my family members on my mothers behalf (she isn't as tech savy as I am)--In order to have a comphrensive familial medical history, for both genealogy and medical purposes.
    I'd like to get my grandpa's records from the VA--He was a WWII vet, who died at the VA of a stroke in 1975, age 55. I know he got treatment at the VA in the decades and years leading up to his death (he left the service in 1945, having been shot in the leg by a sniper in Luxembourg during the Battle of the Bulge, for which he spent a year in the hospital but kept his leg), and I have his army serial number as well as his social security numberl, is there anything else I would need? How does one go about getting a relative's VA records? I mean post war medical records specifically.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 11-18-2009 at 03:49 PM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I'm trying to get medical records for some of my family members on my mothers behalf (she isn't as tech savy as I am)--In order to have a comphrensive familial medical history, for both genealogy and medical purposes.
    I'd like to get my grandpa's records from the VA--He was a WWII vet, who died at the VA of a stroke in 1975, age 55. I know he got treatment at the VA in the decades and years leading up to his death (he left the service in 1945, having been shot in the leg by a sniper in Luxembourg during the Battle of the Bulge, for which he spent a year in the hospital but kept his leg), and I have his army serial number as well as his social security numberl, is there anything else I would need? How does one go about getting a relative's VA records? I mean post war medical records specifically.
    Where to send my request

The application forms for a DD214 are on line at .http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...e-records.html.
    Download the form or fill it out on line and send it to St Louis.

When you get the DD214 best to make about 20 copy's and keep them in a safe.Every time I deal with the VA they lose my paperwork !
    You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC).

Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC. Be sure to use the address specified by eVetRecs or the instructions on the SF-180.

The locations of military service records for active and retired personnel are listed at Location of Military Service Records.

NPRC Fax Number : 314-801-9195

NPRC Mailing Address: National Personnel Records Center Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132-5100 314-801-0800

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Where to send my request

The application forms for a DD214 are on line at .http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...e-records.html.
    Download the form or fill it out on line and send it to St Louis.

When you get the DD214 best to make about 20 copy's and keep them in a safe.Every time I deal with the VA they lose my paperwork !
    You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC).

Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC. Be sure to use the address specified by eVetRecs or the instructions on the SF-180.

The locations of military service records for active and retired personnel are listed at Location of Military Service Records.

NPRC Fax Number : 314-801-9195

NPRC Mailing Address: National Personnel Records Center Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132-5100 314-801-0800
    But wouldn't this be just of his army medical records?
    I'm talking about any treatment he received at the VA after he was discharged.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    But wouldn't this be just of his army medical records?
    I'm talking about any treatment he received at the VA after he was discharged.
    They would have that on file at the VA.You would still need his DD214 just for openers.

There are forms the VA would require you to file to prove He was a vet,your kinship and his death before they will release his records.

If you call the VA that would take forever just to get them to answer the phone .The fastest way is to call your rep in Washington and ask his staff to help you !