1. #1 Thursday Thursday 
    A nice day here today. The sun is out, not to cloudy and the temps are great, lows in the upper 50s and highs in the mid 70s...

TOTD: I haven't been to a dentist in a couple of year because the last one retired so today I decided that I need to find another one and get the usual stuff done. My search criteria consisted of looking for dentists near my home who were accepting new patients. The first one that I got to who fit the bill became my new dentist.

How you do you go about choosing professionals who you will have a more than on time relationship with? What criteria do you use to make the section. Sorry to say but I put more thought in on the company the replaced my roof a few years back than I did about my dentist. I figured that if the dentist is bad I can change to a new one. If they guy screws up my roof I may be stuck with it for a while.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It's clear and seasonal out here. People are itching to hit the slopes because conditions are really great for this time of year.

TOTD: Mr. Snaps picked our dentist based on the dentist's willingness to administer near lethal levels of pain management medication. Seriously, our dentist is kind of a high-end dude who caters to patients who want excellent yet pain-free treatment. His office also works really closely with patients so you get a pretty personalized experience. I called the office on a Sunday one time (they are closed on weekends) and my dentist called me back in about a half an hour and sent a prescription to the drugstore for me. :)

I'm in an HMO but you can pick your own doc. I usually go with a doc who advertises a holistic practice or who is a D.O. I've never had anything serious wrong with me so this is fine for now.

My OCD guy got picked based on his practice style (I went to a few). He's a classic CBT guy and he believes in a lot of homework. Lots and lots of homework.

I always to a lot of research for anything. The Internet is a real blessing for all that.

Banned
    Sunny day in big B.R.; supposed to get up to 70.

TOTD: Like Ginger, I wanted a dentist that was big on pain management. I went thru a bunch of crummy dentists on the company's dental plan until I found a good one. By that time, I had so many root canals, crowns and partials, it came to a point that my teeth could not be saved so had them pulled out. Had dental implants put in. Knowing what I know today, I would have gone to Mexico to have that done, saved several thousand dollars and had a vacation to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post

TOTD: Like Ginger, I wanted a dentist that was big on pain management. I went thru a bunch of crummy dentists on the company's dental plan until I found a good one. By that time, I had so many root canals, crowns and partials, it came to a point that my teeth could not be saved so had them pulled out. Had dental implants put in. Knowing what I know today, I would have gone to Mexico to have that done, saved several thousand dollars and had a vacation to boot.

I know people that have had both good & bad work done in Mexico. Heck, in Las Vegas, you can usually find a Mexican dentist with a practice in a motel room of a Motel 6 if you look hard enough. :)

TOTD: After moving here, I had to choose my PCP for my HMO. I picked my chiropractor's husband to be my medical provider. He also was the town's VA doctor, working at more then one clinic & does house calls for hospice. He also voulnuteers alot of time for various children & adult clinics for military families.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post

I'd never go out of the country for dentistry. SR's sister had some work done by a dentist in Peru. Now she's going through agony and the dentists here can't figure out what the guy did, other than really mess up her mouth.

A woman who is a dietician at Washington U. School of Med that I had met in a water aerobics class at the Y years ago recommended my dentist. My dentist is a wonderful dentist and human being. She formerly taught at Wash U School of Dentistry and at Southern Illinois School of Dentistry. She is an excellent dentist and good friend. She was one of the few non-family members at SR's and my wedding. I love her like a sister. In fact, most of my extended family now goes to her.

My internist was recommended by my opthamologist. She also is an excellent doc. I will NEVER pick a doc based on zip code. There are too many bad (or at least not so good) docs out there. I have to admit that I'm very picky with my selection.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I'd never go out of the country for dentistry. SR's sister had some work done by a dentist in Peru. Now she's going through agony and the dentists here can't figure out what the guy did, other than really mess up her mouth.

A woman who is a dietician at Washington U. School of Med that I had met in a water aerobics class at the Y years ago recommended my dentist. My dentist is a wonderful dentist and human being. She formerly taught at Wash U School of Dentistry and at Southern Illinois School of Dentistry. She is an excellent dentist and good friend. She was one of the few non-family members at SR's and my wedding. I love her like a sister. In fact, most of my extended family now goes to her.

My internist was recommended by my opthamologist. She also is an excellent doc. I will NEVER pick a doc based on zip code. There are too many bad (or at least not so good) docs out there. I have to admit that I'm very picky with my selection.
    All my medical, chiropratic & dental providers in Illinois ended up being good friends of mine. We would go out to lunch, hang out and even go on mini vacations. I have not quite found that here in Nevada yet, other then being great friends with my chiropractor.

I agree about going out of the country for dental work. It's not a chance I would take. I hear the vision doctors have issues as well.