Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Junk Food Equals Heroin. 
    SCIENCE NEWS

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Junk food addiction

You knew those Ding Dongs, candy bars and strips of bacon weren't good for you. But now comes a study suggesting that junk food may be addictive in the same way as heroin or cocaine.

Researchers at Scripps Research Institute in Florida found that rats given unlimited access to the kind of high-fat, high-calorie food available in convenience stores -- such as Ho Hos, candy bars and sausage -- became compulsive overeaters as the pleasure pathways in their brains became less and less responsive, forcing them to consume more to get the same amount of pleasure. These rats also went for the junk food even when they had to endure a slight shock to their foot to get at the food. These behaviors, according to the researchers, are classic hallmarks of addiction.

"Not only did we find that the animals' brain reward circuits became less responsive at they continued to overeat and become obese," Paul Kenny, an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at Scripps, reported at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, "but that decrease in responsiveness was similar to what our laboratory has seen previously in rats as they become addicted to cocaine or heroin."

When, after 40 days of unrestricted access to the junk foods, the rats were then deprived of it and fed a more nutritious food pellet, the animals refused to eat, even though they were clearly starving.
    You mean if you do something highly pleasurable over and over again that you will become jaded and start jonesing for a new thrill? Stop the presses! We need to educate the masses about this brand new phenomena instantly!

What tools. If you only eat cake all day long, you'll start craving ice cream eventually. Under no circumstances will you develop an urge to eat raw baby spinach.

WaPo

Banned
    Only an idiot or a governmental agency using taxpayers money would fund this stupidity.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You mean if you do something highly pleasurable over and over again that you will become jaded and start jonesing for a new thrill? Stop the presses! We need to educate the masses about this brand new phenomena instantly!

What tools. If you only eat cake all day long, you'll start craving ice cream eventually. Under no circumstances will you develop an urge to eat raw baby spinach.

WaPo
    Welcome to the silly season !

Cravings for Ding Dongs and french fries rarely drives their addicts to depraved acts like selling their children into prostitution to ensure enough cash for the next Hostess fix. Plus, most junk food addicts bathe or shower daily, and are not lice factories.

I've been disillusioned about junkies after 22 years working in children's services. I used to feel sorry for them, now I despise them more than crackheads.

Everything is a medicalized affliction these days. I guess saying that you are "addicted" to Little Debbies is sexier than admitting that you are just fat and not too worried about it.

Everything is a medicalized affliction these days. I guess saying that you are "addicted" to Little Debbies is sexier than admitting that you are just fat and not too worried about it.

And, if you are addicted, there is always the hope that Dr. Drew will have a program for you that will get you on television.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    And, if you are addicted, there is always the hope that Dr. Drew will have a program for you that will get you on television.
    But why would fat people want to go on television? I hear the camera adds 10 pounds. :p

I agree the study was stupid but I didn't read it that way.

It's saying if you eat one cake you are eventually going to have to eat two cakes to get the same amount of pleasure you had from eating just the one. And then three, etc. The stimuli doesn't need to change, just the quantity. I agree about the spinach part.

Besides, didn't they already know that no one can eat just one Lay's? Sheesh.

I like the part about suffering through the shock to get the junk food. I dated several women like that. Had to have chocolate everyday no matter the cost or obstacle. I imagine Jendf is like that.

I'm going to go eat another pumpkin and cream cheese muffin!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I agree the study was stupid but I didn't read it that way.

It's saying if you eat one cake you are eventually going to have to eat two cakes to get the same amount of pleasure you had from eating just the one. And then three, etc. The stimuli doesn't need to change, just the quantity. I agree about the spinach part.

Besides, didn't they already know that no one can eat just one Lay's? Sheesh.

I like the part about suffering through the shock to get the junk food. I dated several women like that. Had to have chocolate everyday no matter the cost or obstacle. I imagine Jendf is like that.
    I like cookies as much as the next person (maybe more since I'm willing to make them). That said, I don't eat 40 cookies a day. It's that I couldn't - I have the opportunity, the means, and the motivation. It's that trying to stuff myself into an XXXXL article of clothing just holds no appeal. I'm active but nowhere near active enough to off-load 40 cookies worth of calories.

Rats don't care if they have to shop at Lane Bryant. I do. Not that there's anything wrong with that - for others. :D