Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I like cookies as much as the next person (maybe more since I'm willing to make them). That said, I don't eat 40 cookies a day. It's that I couldn't - I have the opportunity, the means, and the motivation. It's that trying to stuff myself into an XXXXL article of clothing just holds no appeal. I'm active but nowhere near active enough to off-load 40 cookies worth of calories.

Rats don't care if they have to shop at Lane Bryant. I do. Not that there's anything wrong with that - for others. :D
    So are you saying there's really no such thing as addiction? We can stop snorting coke and eating cookies just through will?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    So are you saying there's really no such thing as addiction? We can stop snorting coke and eating cookies just through will?
    Motivation is pretty much everything but what motivates one person doesn't interest somebody else at all.

Mr. Snaps' BFF was a heroin addict. He even went to jail for it. Jail didn't make him quit but he got to a point where it wasn't worth it to him anymore and he gradually backed himself off of it (like most heroin addicts do). He dropped his heroin friends and lovers, he moved away from his heroin neighborhood, and he de-coupled his life from the "scene".

Was he addicted? You bet. He was on methadone in jail and after. Did jail make him quit? Nope. He went back to horse. Is he doing heroin now? Not for years. No shrinks, no real medical people, no counseling (he faked his way through the court-ordered stuff and laughs about how counter-productive that was).

Did he find Jesus? Sadly, no.

But he was addicted and he's isn't now and it's up to the fact that the lifestyle lost its appeal for him eventually.

That happens a lot. Look at all the millions of people who smoked and now don't. Who had random sex and now don't. Who blew their money on shoes or gambling or whatever and now don't. So addiction is absolutely as real as the addict's personal framing. Physical addiction to anything is a short-term deal. Emotional addiction is something else and something that different people handle in very different ways. ;)