Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Friday in a Funk 
    Power CUer
    Gorgeous sunny autumn day in the DC area.

TOTD: I'm in a funk. Next week is Thanksgiving, which starts the "carnage of the holiday season", and all I can think about is how much work has to be done. I even did some Christmas shopping yesterday but I'm not really into it. I'm bored and afflicted with existential ennui. What's your antidote for this sort of thing?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

It's cold and seasonal with brilliant blue skies. More snow is on the way, of course.

TOTD: Man, I've been there! Winter-time existential ennui is my personal hobby. If I didn't live where I can go skiing pretty much within 15 minutes, I'd be in a women's prison by now.

Getting ready for the Turkey Day doesn't usually get to me - I can do that in my sleep but the whole decorating-for-Christmas-thing can be oppressive. I really like the look for about 20 minutes and then I've had enough. Then there's the entertaining. Once in a while, I'd like to be entertained without any effort.

What I do is plan some kind of absorbing projects. It could be some kind of new exercise thing or home redecorating, vow to read Cato, maybe completely re-do my wardrobe, or execute an ambitious sewing or knitting project. Then I change up my daily routine slightly (big change does not work for me), plan some excursions that cater to my interests for change, and invest in new lingerie. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Once in a while, I'd like to be entertained without any effort.
    Yes! What's up with that? Those of us who host always have enthusiastic guests.... who are NOT good about reciprocating! "Oh, you do it so well.... I couldn't live up to that...." You could TRY.

There were some good ideas in your post. I'm knitting a jacket for a friend for Christmas, and when I'm done with that maybe I'll knit some new lingerie. (I condensed your post a little).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Yes! What's up with that? Those of us who host always have enthusiastic guests.... who are NOT good about reciprocating! "Oh, you do it so well.... I couldn't live up to that...." You could TRY.

There were some good ideas in your post. I'm knitting a jacket for a friend for Christmas, and when I'm done with that maybe I'll knit some new lingerie. (I condensed your post a little).
    Actually, I do sew some of my lingerie. Nothing really feels quite as deliciously decadent as quality silk and lace. When you sew your own, it not only fits exactly but you have way, way more color choices than the boring white, nude, black, and red that the stores carry.

Now back to whining about the lack of reciprocation - I've heard that very same excuse. People seem to fear entertaining now. I wonder if the whole Martha Stewart/celebrity chef thing isn't to blame?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Actually, I do sew some of my lingerie. Nothing really feels quite as deliciously decadent as quality silk and lace. When you sew your own, it not only fits exactly but you have way, way more color choices than the boring white, nude, black, and red that the stores carry.
    Now you've done it; we'll have Rock and his ilk all over this thread. As to celebrity chefs, Martha may indeed be a problem, but the Barefoot Contessa is her antidote: the point is to get people together so they have a good time; the food is a facilitator but it's not the point. I'm doing her fennel, orange, and arugula salad to go with Thanksgiving dinner. :)

TOTD: I'm feeling kinda chipper today. It's my sisters Birthday, and it's the first time in 8 years I'll be present for it. I'm also heading home tomorrow from my 3 week hunting trip of failure, so it'll be nice to get back to the usual routine.

Banned
    Sunny and coolish in Bayou land; highs in the upper 60's.

TOTD: Being retired, I very seldom get in a funk except on cold dreary days in the winter. Heading to the beach this Sunday for a week. Belize and Panama are on my radar for the months of Jan. & Feb.

Power CUer
    Vacations do help, and it's probably just been too long since my last real one (around Memorial Day). We're going to a nice inn in western NC right after Christmas, and back to Paris in February, so that will probably help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Vacations do help, and it's probably just been too long since my last real one (around Memorial Day). We're going to a nice inn in western NC right after Christmas, and back to Paris in February, so that will probably help.
    Downright gloomy here in London, with intermittent light rain. On the good side, it's been unseasonably mild (I haven't had to wear a heavy coat yet this season).

I'll be in Paris for Christmas and am thinking of popping over this weekend for a bit of a short hol. It's only 3 hours, after all, on the Eurostar for only 87 in business.

Mid-70's here today. Sunny. No rain. Ever.

TOTD: Go for a long walk! Whenever I'm feeling blue or out of sorts, I just lace up my sneakers and head out for an hour. When I get back I've usually forgotten what my problem was to begin with. Thank you very much, adrenaline. :D

This is in Arizona where the weather is conducive to long walks whenever you feel like it. I'm not sure about DC though.