Hybrid View

1. #1 Senate Democrats assured of 60 votes to debate health bill 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    From Ed Hornick, CNN
    November 21, 2009 3:02 p.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- Senate Democrat Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas said Saturday she will support bringing the Senate health care reform bill to the floor for debate, giving Democrats the 60 votes they need to prevent a Republican filibuster.

"Although I don't agree with everything in this bill, I believe it is important to begin this debate," she said.

"This issue is very complex. There is no easy fix," she said in making her announcement on the Senate floor, just hours before Saturday night's 8 p.m. procedural vote.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Don't they need Lieberman's vote? I thought he was going to fillibuster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Don't they need Lieberman's vote? I thought he was going to fillibuster.
    In all probability Liberman and all the Democrats will vote for it to come to the floor for debate and amendments. In both cases, they will need 60 votes for passage. If that happens, then reconciliation. Both houses must approve it; however it will only take a majority not 60 votes to pass. So, moderate democrats like Landrieu, Nelson, etc will vote no on reconciliation to give them cover. This type of double talk, I voted for it before I was against it, is going to get some of these turkeys defeated come election time.

I admit I'm not 100% sure of these Senate rules. They have 60 votes to start debate. Don't they still need 60 votes to stop debate before voting on the bill?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I admit I'm not 100% sure of these Senate rules. They have 60 votes to start debate. Don't they still need 60 votes to stop debate before voting on the bill?
    No

If and when it gets to the floor (requiring 60 votes that will be voted on tonight at 8pm) and passes, weeks or a month may pass by with discussion and amendments that will require 60 votes on the final Senate bill.

Still confused. Bottom line: Do they still need another 60 votes to push this thing through later in the process?

I know they will have no problem getting 50, but they may have a problem getting 60 on board to do anything more than starting a debate.