Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Historic health care bill clears Senate hurdle 60-39 vote 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    WASHINGTON – Invoking the name of Edward M. Kennedy, Democrats united Saturday night to push historic health care legislation past a key Senate hurdle over the opposition of Republicans eager to inflict a punishing defeat on President Barack Obama. There was not a vote to spare.

The 60-39 vote cleared the way for a bruising, full-scale debate beginning after Thanksgiving on the legislation, which is designed to extend coverage to roughly 31 million who lack it, crack down on insurance company practices that deny or dilute benefits and curtail the growth of spending on medical care nationally.

The spectator galleries were full for the unusual Saturday night showdown, and applause broke out briefly when the vote was announced. In a measure of the significance of the moment, senators sat quietly in their seats, standing only when they were called upon to vote.

Republican Sen. George Voinovich of Ohio missed the vote.

In the final minutes of a daylong debate, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., accused Republicans of trying to stifle a debate the nation needed.

"Imagine if, instead of debating whether to abolish slavery, instead of debating whether giving women and minorities the right to vote, those who disagreed had muted discussion and killed any vote," he said.

The Republican leader, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said the vote was anything but procedural — casting it as a referendum on the bill itself, which he said would raise taxes, cut Medicare and create a "massive and unsustainable debt."

Banned
    Fuck Ted Kennedy!

Now the RATS own it. When we fail, and we will as a nation. We can look back on the last chance to save our nation. The RATS will point to everything but themselves, but it comes down to this. They have given away our country. This is the moment that began our end as a viable country.

Dear God, I pray I'm wrong.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    This is just a preliminary step to allow debate on the bill; Repubs. can offer amendment after amendment to cut the public option and other parts out of the bill. This will take many weeks for a vote on the final bill which will take 60 votes unless Dirty Harry goes with the nuclear option. All hell will break out if he tries that shit with a simple majority.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Now the RATS own it. When we fail, and we will as a nation. We can look back on the last chance to save our nation. The RATS will point to everything but themselves, but it comes down to this. They have given away our country. This is the moment that began our end as a viable country.

Your not wrong!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    This is just a preliminary step to allow debate on the bill; Repubs. can offer amendment after amendment to cut the public option and other parts out of the bill. This will take many weeks for a vote on the final bill which will take 60 votes unless Dirty Harry goes with the nuclear option. All hell will break out if he tries that shit with a simple majority.
    We went to state when I was playing football in high school. We had no problem running the ball and with just a few minutes left we found ourselves on the opponents 8 yard line with the score ties 20-20. Our coach called two plays that were incomplete and then called a run that got stopped at the 1. All night long we had not run for less than 4 yards. Our coach opted for a field goal.

On the kick off I hit the returner and he coughed the ball up and the ball was recovered at the 9. Again, coach called pass plays. The third pass play was at the 1. Again, coach opted for a field goal though we could have easily run the ball in.

We kicked off and they ran it back all the way back for a touchdown, made the PAT and we lost by one point because when our stupid coach had a chance to put the game away, he played it safe.

There was a perfect opportunity to kill this stupid bill. If you are going to vote to kill it later or do not support it then why vote for it in the first place? If you do not want to pass it later, why vote to pass it now? I don't believe that these assholes are ever going to vote against it. In fact I believe that down the line, a RINO or two are going to vote for it. This was the best time to kill it and they did not have the balls to do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post

It has a long, long way to go. The rats in the Senate and House are split on key issues like abortion, the public option, cost and the deficit .

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    It has a long, long way to go. The rats in the Senate and House are split on key issues like abortion, the public option, cost and the deficit .
    Speedy is right it is on it's way now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Speedy is right it is on it's way now.
    I think that the left is desperate now. That is why they are going to pass this bill. Their whole little belief system is falling apart and now they are going to try their last resort option, force. Just think about it. They can't get Gay Marriage to pass anywhere it is put to vote. They see that the public is not buying what they are selling as far as the healthcare debate. The President being Black has not kept him popular for more than 9 months. And now the bright light of truth has been shone upon their Global Warming/Climate Change Hoax. They would be completely dead and buried except for one thing. They have almost absolute power thanks to owning both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse.

There is no limit to how they will go now because they know that their jig is up. Left to the voters they will not be back now that Americans have seen their true faces. The only way they will have power is to keep the power they have now.

my view is that they are either going to ram it through or euthanize the bill when the public is distracted by the holidays, another jihadi attack, maybe just a missing child story. whatever the media can run with.

it's also possible joe lieberman will stop it. i don't think he'll do so because he's got ethics, only because he'll get something for it [chhhchange], and because his wife is an insurance lobbyist.

our job is to pressure our senators to vote NAY.

O verly
    B oastful
    A bout
    M inor
    A ccomplishments