Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1 Multicultural Masochism - Christopher Hitchens making sense!!!! 
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,391
    Multicultural Masochism

    Christopher Hitchens
    http://www.slate.com/id/2236442/
    Posted Monday, Nov. 23, 2009, at 1:37 PM ET

    It's both amusing and educational to observe a consensus when it suddenly starts to give way at all points without yielding an inch. A couple of weeks ago, the consoling view was that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan was a man more to be pitied than feared, a full-blown officer in the U.S. armed forces who was too shaken up by the stories of returned veterans to be able to function properly, and a physician too stressed-out to bear in mind that there was such a thing as a Hippocratic oath. Why, even the FBI had interpreted his e-mails to Anwar al-Awlaki as quite "consistent with research being conducted by Maj. Hasan in his position as a psychiatrist at the Walter Reed Medical Center."

    >>>

    For a start, did Hasan or Muhammad ever say what "killing" of which "Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan" they had in mind? There isn't a day goes by without the brutal slaughter of Muslims in both countries by al-Qaida or the Taliban. And that's not just because most (though not all) civilians in both countries happen to be of the Islamic faith. The terrorists do not pause before deliberately blowing up the mosques and religious processions of those whose Muslim beliefs they deem insufficiently devout. Most of those now being tortured and raped and executed by the Islamic Republic of Iran are Muslim. All the women being scarred with acid and threatened with murder for the crime of going to school in Pakistan are Muslim. Many of those killed in London, Madrid, and New York were Muslim, and almost all the victims callously destroyed in similar atrocities in Istanbul, Cairo, Casablanca, and Algiers in the recent past were Muslim, too. It takes a true intellectual to survey this appalling picture and to say, as Wright does, that we invite attacks on our off-duty soldiers because "the hawkish war-on-terrorism strategy—a global anti-jihad that creates nonstop imagery of Americans killing Muslims—is so dubious." Dubious? The only thing dubious here is his command of language. When did the U.S. Army ever do what the jihadists do every day: deliberately murder Muslim civilians and brag on video about the fact? For shame. The slippery slope—actually the slimy slope—is the one down which Wright is skidding.

    >>>
    Almost the entire column makes perfect sense. I am amazed! ;):D
    Last edited by MrsSmith; 11-25-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: http://www.slate.com/id/2236442/
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Hitchens isn't stupid. He frequently has useful insights on geopolitics and the American political scene. He just gets sidetracked over the atheism thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    It's a shame that Hitchens doesn't see the "War on Terror" for the egregious waste of human and financial capital that it is. Otherwise I'd take his stance on Muslims and their atrocities a lot more seriously.

    With one breath, Hitchens and neocons love to point out the savage acts comitted by Muslims all over the world every day, and how it's written into their religious scripture and their very way of life...yet we're going to convert entire Islamic countries to pro-Western ones by rooting out all the "terrorists"? Yeah, makes sense to me.

    We'll all be a lot better off if/when we recognize that Islam and the West are incompatible, and we're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to bring them out of the Stone Age. In fact, we're just making it easier for them in the long run to swallow Europe, and eventually, North America.

    If we would fence our borders and start enforcing our immigration laws, we would have little to fear from terrorists.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    It's a shame that Hitchens doesn't see the "War on Terror" for the egregious waste of human and financial capital that it is. Otherwise I'd take his stance on Muslims and their atrocities a lot more seriously.

    With one breath, Hitchens and neocons love to point out the savage acts comitted by Muslims all over the world every day, and how it's written into their religious scripture and their very way of life...yet we're going to convert entire Islamic countries to pro-Western ones by rooting out all the "terrorists"? Yeah, makes sense to me.

    We'll all be a lot better off if/when we recognize that Islam and the West are incompatible, and we're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to bring them out of the Stone Age. In fact, we're just making it easier for them in the long run to swallow Europe, and eventually, North America.

    If we would fence our borders and start enforcing our immigration laws, we would have little to fear from terrorists.
    You're making too much sense!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    It's a shame that Hitchens doesn't see the "War on Terror" for the egregious waste of human and financial capital that it is. Otherwise I'd take his stance on Muslims and their atrocities a lot more seriously.

    With one breath, Hitchens and neocons love to point out the savage acts comitted by Muslims all over the world every day, and how it's written into their religious scripture and their very way of life...yet we're going to convert entire Islamic countries to pro-Western ones by rooting out all the "terrorists"? Yeah, makes sense to me.

    We'll all be a lot better off if/when we recognize that Islam and the West are incompatible, and we're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to bring them out of the Stone Age. In fact, we're just making it easier for them in the long run to swallow Europe, and eventually, North America.

    If we would fence our borders and start enforcing our immigration laws, we would have little to fear from terrorists.
    I agree with much of what you say here, but the isolationism you advocate is a naive point of view in my opinion. We absolutely need to seal our borders and enforcing imigration laws, but that will not stop the terrorists from wanting to harm us. That only allows them to consolidate their power.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    I think that we should not make any accomodations for Islam in our laws for Islam. If Sharia conflicts with US Laws then Sharia gets trumped. No exceptions. No head coverings or burkhas in Drivers license photos. If a company has uniform standards and Religious dress does not allow wearing of the uniform as it is then the company is not under any obligation to make changes. Even with places like Burger King and McDonalds that issue you caps. If you can't wear the caps because your religion demands that you wear a head covering, then you can't work there. No one should have to compromise their religious principles but no business should have to accomodate them either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Almost the entire column makes perfect sense. I am amazed! ;):D
    You'd be surprised. Teh Hitch is right about a lot of things, the Iraq War being one of them and a few others as well.

    His freedom of speech debate in Canada is one of my favourites. When I need cheering up, I tend to wheel that one out. It always puts me back into a good mood.

    Being an atheist myself, I obviously will incline toward the same points of view that he has, but those points of view should not put anyone off from at least hearing him out on some of his other opinions.
    20010911
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    It's a shame that Hitchens doesn't see the "War on Terror" for the egregious waste of human and financial capital that it is. Otherwise I'd take his stance on Muslims and their atrocities a lot more seriously.

    With one breath, Hitchens and neocons love to point out the savage acts comitted by Muslims all over the world every day, and how it's written into their religious scripture and their very way of life...yet we're going to convert entire Islamic countries to pro-Western ones by rooting out all the "terrorists"? Yeah, makes sense to me.

    We'll all be a lot better off if/when we recognize that Islam and the West are incompatible, and we're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to bring them out of the Stone Age. In fact, we're just making it easier for them in the long run to swallow Europe, and eventually, North America.

    If we would fence our borders and start enforcing our immigration laws, we would have little to fear from terrorists.
    You do realize we are doing more then just dropping bombs on terrorists right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    You do realize we are doing more then just dropping bombs on terrorists right?
    But that is th part that is the most fun!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •