Thread: Brits Mull Design Changes To Factor In Drunks

1. #1 Brits Mull Design Changes To Factor In Drunks 
    Boffins to redesign streets for drunks
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hazards like park benches will be removed in drunk-friendly streets Scientists have decided that redesigning streets to make them more user-friendly for drunks could help reduce conflict and violence.

After using computer simulations based on the Welsh to mimic the movements of people staggering home after a good night out, researchers came to the staggering realisation that drunk people trip over things.

Scientists went on to the streets of Cardiff to get information about drunken behaviour they could feed into their computer model,. breathalysing locals and studying their behaviour.

A quarter of the individuals encountered were found to be so drunk they were staggering.

Simulations were then run showing crowds in various states of inebriation trying to pass through a narrow alleyway to three different destinations.

When a fifth of the people were staggering, progress was reduced by 9%, while a whole crowd of drunks led to a 38% reduction in movement.

The scientists believe their findings have a direct association with the all too common phenomenon of fights breaking out at "chucking out time".

"Drunks become irritants because they slow people's progress towards their goal," said study leader Simon Moore, from the University of Cardiff, who presented the findings last week at the International Crime Science Conference in London. "They may then become targets of violence."

The researchers plan to investigate how moving street obstacles or increasing pedestrianisation might ease congestion around nightspots, New Scientist magazine reported.
    I don't know what's more bemusing: that a quarter of people on Welsh streets are blind drunk or that engineers and government types want to make their drunken lives easier.

Cheers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't know what's more bemusing: that a quarter of people on Welsh streets are blind drunk or that engineers and government types want to make their drunken lives easier.

Cheers!
    Maybe they should make a lane for drunks like they do for bicycles:eek: Sounds like the researchers had a few too many themselves. Either that or they had a brain melt down.

Goldwater

Cheers!
    If you go on the streets of Cardiff on a friday, the weekend or a thursday at night, you're going to see a lot of drunk people having a good time. This is true of a lot of major cities, particularly in Europe.

Cheers!
    Well, I believe you're right! Has anyone seen their quirky little show called Three Sheets? My boss at work burned me a copy (both Disc 1 and 2...I guess that might be season one, I dunno) and we watched four episodes last night (each is about 30 minutes long) and it is kinda like a Travel Channel show where the host travels around to different places around the globe visiting bars and such to explore drinking culture, etc etc. It is VERY funny. Last night one of the episodes we watched was in Wales. We did not know that pub was short for Public House, where--back in the olden days--it was not just a place to drink but also a place to eat dinner, meet to discuss town business, and also some people were sentenced for crimes and hung in a few "pubs."

Check out Three Sheets, though...it is well-worth the time...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

I think the drinking culture in the States must be somewhat different. I'm not saying we don't have our share of blind drunks stumbling around but it isn't really seen as acceptable once you are out of college.

There is simply no way my colleagues and I would meet together after work to get totally wasted. It would never happen. Partly because we just are kind of health conscious in my state and in my industry but also because it would make trouble in our working relationships. We view vomiting drunks as being pretty low class and unreliable.