Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Californian Queers Seek 'Divorce Ban' 
    Came across this on Facebook and couldn't stop laughing. Looks like queers upset they can't marry have started a petition to get a divorce ban on the ballot (upholding the "til death do us part" oath)...

2010 California Protection of Marriage Act

Activist seeks divorce ban in California
    Comedic movement takes jab at voters who outlawed gay marriage

MSNBC

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Till death do us part? The vow would really hold true in California if a Sacramento Web designer gets his way.

In a movement that seems ripped from the pages of Comedy Channel writers, John Marcotte wants to put a measure on the ballot next year to ban divorce in California.

The effort is meant to be a satirical statement after California voters outlawed gay marriage in 2008, largely on the argument that a ban is needed to protect the sanctity of traditional marriage. If that's the case, then Marcotte reasons voters should have no problem banning divorce.

"Since California has decided to protect traditional marriage, I think it would be hypocritical of us not to sacrifice some of our own rights to protect traditional marriage even more," the 38-year-old married father of two said.

Marcotte said he has collected dozens of signatures, including one from his wife of seven years. The initiative's Facebook fans have swelled to more than 1,100. Volunteers that include gay activists and members of a local comedy troupe have signed on to help.

continued...
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Actually that is kinda imaginative on their part. Damn 'em.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

In California isn't marriage kind of like dating everywhere else anyway?

It's like watching a pack of 5th graders at play...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Ain't gonna happen as a divorce is a legal dissolution of a binding contract. It isn't like divorcing couples are just saying, "Okies, we're done. Have a nice day." This is why divorces are done in court.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

This is stupid but I'd be okay with getting rid of no-fault divorce when there are minor children involved. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who haven't given their spouse any warning. Too many of those divorces happen because the women no longer "feel" the same level of romance and excitement they did before they moved in with the guy.

That's no reason to rip apart a kid's family but if it has to happen, the more adult parent should get more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is stupid but I'd be okay with getting rid of no-fault divorce when there are minor children involved. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who haven't given their spouse any warning. Too many of those divorces happen because the women no longer "feel" the same level of romance and excitement they did before they moved in with the guy.

That's no reason to rip apart a kid's family but if it has to happen, the more adult parent should get more consideration.

My parents had a no-fault divorce, and we were all adults in a legal sense at the time. No fault divorces are supposed to make it easier and quicker to resolve, but that only works in a short-term marriage where there are no kids and no mutual financial holdings.

When my mom chose to divorce my dad, it was her choice, not his. He wanted to get marriage counseling, she just wanted out. She thought that once she got alimony, she'd be better off financially. All she really got was about $80,000 before lawyers and taxes. My dad, on the other hand, got to keep his business, and was relieved of the responsibility to pay for my sister's college tuition, since the nagging about it ended when he moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My parents had a no-fault divorce, and we were all adults in a legal sense at the time. No fault divorces are supposed to make it easier and quicker to resolve, but that only works in a short-term marriage where there are no kids and no mutual financial holdings.

When my mom chose to divorce my dad, it was her choice, not his. He wanted to get marriage counseling, she just wanted out. She thought that once she got alimony, she'd be better off financially. All she really got was about $80,000 before lawyers and taxes. My dad, on the other hand, got to keep his business, and was relieved of the responsibility to pay for my sister's college tuition, since the nagging about it ended when he moved out.
    This what I mean. If two people are essentially shacking up and they have no finances or children in common, then I don't see a problem with dissolving the contract since it's unlikely they have any religious obligations in common.

Property, money, and kids change all that.

Banned
    But isn't Divorce considered a sin by Christians just as much as homosexuality is? I mean the most common reason I've seen by Christians to outlaw gay marriage is that it's sinful...Yet I don't see Christians launching a ban Divorce campaign, even though Jesus himself specifically spoke against divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    But isn't Divorce considered a sin by Christians just as much as homosexuality is? I mean the most common reason I've seen by Christians to outlaw gay marriage is that it's sinful...Yet I don't see Christians launching a ban Divorce campaign, even though Jesus himself specifically spoke against divorce.
    Well if you read the Bible, you would know that it has provisions in there for divorce. It also says that homosexuality is an abomination.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand