Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Now We're Gonna Drown. 
    Major cities at risk from rising sea level threat

The predicted rise in sea levels would engulf island nations such as the Maldives in the Indian Ocean and Tuvalu in the Pacific, devastate coastal cities such as Calcutta and Dhaka and force London, New York and Shanghai to spend billions on flood defences

Hannah Devlin and Robin Pagnamenta
    199 Comments
    Recommend? (36)
    Sea levels will rise by twice as much as previously predicted as a result of global warming, an important international study has concluded.

The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) calculated that if temperatures continued to increase at the present rate, by 2100 the sea level would rise by up to 1.4 metres — twice that predicted two years ago.

Such a rise in sea levels would engulf island nations such as the Maldives in the Indian Ocean and Tuvalu in the Pacific, devastate coastal cities such as Calcutta and Dhaka and force London, New York and Shanghai to spend billions on flood defences.

Even if the average global temperature increases by only 2C — the target set for next week’s Copenhagen summit — sea levels could still rise by 50cm, double previous forecasts, according to the report.

SCAR, a partnership of 35 of the world’s leading climate research institutions, made the prediction in the report Antarctic Climate Change and Climate. It far exceeds the 0.59 metre rise by the end of the century quoted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 2007. This was based on a “business as usual” approach by governments that allowed temperatures to rise by 4 degrees. It will underpin the negotiations in Copenhagen.

SCAR scientists said that the IPCC underestimated grossly how much the melting of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets would contribute to total sea-level rises.

One of the world’s leading experts on climate science has called for the world to intensify efforts to control global warming by actively removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
    Read the comments. The water may not be rising but the tide seems to be turning. :D

Times Online

Well, a good start would be to stop humans from breathing. Obviously a large supplier of CO2.

Incidently, the Population clock is going to tick over to seven billion in April or May of '10. It seemed just yesterday that it ticked over to six billion.

I guess some folks still take it to heart that Biblical bit about "be ye fruitful and multiply".

LS
    The first sign of impending serfdom is when you trade your self determination, your individual responsibility and your vote to the Government in return for subsistance. -LS-

Banned
    OMG. We are all going to die. Tax the shit out of us and we might survive. :mad:

Common erosion is all that these island countries are experiencing. They should prey for a volcanic eruption to restore their land mass; might reduce their population but then they could stop whining about the so called rising sea levels.

I got my emergency swimmies by the front door! I am prepared. :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Way to go dude!

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    You need the truck inner-tube to stuff the cooler into so that it floats.. :D
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

I don't do metric, so 1.4 meters is what? My pool is 4.5 feet deep, If the water level rises, I'll just jump in the pool! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

If you want to save the planet send me your money! For every 20.00 you send me I will drive around a CO2 gobbling tree and not bulldoze it. I'll even send you a picture of the tree you saved. I bulldoze several trees everyday and it's your fault for not sending me money! PM me for rockntractor save a tree carbon credits today.

I like the idea of rising sea levels. Means I'll have beach front property. BRING ON THE FLOODS!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.