Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Problem 'Could Affect Millions' 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "Stay With XP.Avoid 'The Latest And Greatest' Like the Plague. Especially New Operating Systems !"

"Microsoft has tested Windows 7 in house as much as they can.Now the end users will debug the rest for them.The pain and agony will be yours until this
    thing finally matures and error handlers allow graceful exception handling so the thing no longer crashes."

Microsoft said it is looking in to reports that some computers running Windows 7 crash as soon as the user logs on Users have been complaining on internet forums about the ''black screen of death'', which causes the screen of their Windows 7 machine to turn black and the computer to crash when a user logs on.

Microsoft confirmed that it was investigating the possibility that a security update, released on Thursday, could be the root of the problem but later said that it was not the cause.

"Microsoft has investigated reports that its November security updates made changes to permissions in the registry that that are resulting in system issues for some customers," a statement read.

"The cause appears to be a change in the Windows operating system lockdown of registry keys," said Dave Kennerley, a support engineer with Prevx. "This change has the effect of invalidating several key registry entries if they are updated without consideration of the new ACL (access control list) rules being applied."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-millions.html

I've experienced no problems and I am more than happy that I switch all my computers to Windows 7.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I'm running W7 and while it has a few glitches, it's better than Vista. I've not had the black screen of death, but I know someone who has.

I wouldn't run W7 if my company/livelihood depended on reliability... Windows sucks compared to more stable OS's out there (OSX and Linux) but it's fun to tinker with and play games on. :)
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

I don't have any trouble with XP and I have home, media edition ,pro and tablet. I have one running vista home without a glitch. I'm sure I won't have any trouble when I start running seven either. Problems are normally caused by third party software and drivers .

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't have any trouble with XP and I have home, media edition ,pro and tablet. I have one running vista home without a glitch. I'm sure I won't have any trouble when I start running seven either. Problems are normally caused by third party software and drivers .
    True, many of the problems I've encountered with Windows over the years is with software and drivers. Ironically, I don't have this problem with OSX. I suspect most of it is due to the fact Apple is the sole manufacturer of their systems whereas Windows machines are a hodgepodge of components - some work well and others don't.

Even the top PC manufacturers use a mixed-matched group of components from the lowest bidders which means I've had just as much trouble over the years with my Gateways and Dells as I have had with my home built systems. But I've learned if you want to build a PC that works better than most, you're better off doing the research and buying components that you know will work.

With Apple, you simply plug it in, turn it on and it works. There's no defragging of drives, cleaning of registries, malware to worry about or even viruses.

Speaking of XP, it's the last Windows OS that I found to be somewhat stable. You can't install a bunch of stuff to it and keep it running smoothly, so for serious work in the past I've ran two systems. One with a clean install with only my work applications and another with my games and where I install various new applications to see how they work.

Again, with OSX I have no need for such a practice.

But, again... I am enjoying W7. I grew up on Windows and have been a user my entire life. I switched to OSX when I needed a new machine in 2006 simply because I installed Vista on my PC of the time and discovered it was an unstable, bloated, driverless nightmare that was typical MS bloatware. That's when I decided to give OSX a try. I installed both XP and OSX on my Apple because I wasn't sure OSX would suit my needs. A year later I removed the XP partition as I never used it. That's when I realized OSX was a far better OS than anything Microsoft had devised.

Now that I'm on Windows 7 (which I'm typing this message from) I realize that Windows still is glitchy compared to OSX. Little things... like my most recent Windows challenge. I'm trying to uncompress an archived ISO image that's 8GB in size. At 4GB WinRAR stops with an error saying NTFS can't handle files larger than 4GB and closes. So far I've not found a workaround, but I have a couple of days off so I can hopefully find something. The joys of Windows ownership.

Thank God I have I have OSX which didn't give me this error so I was able to decompress the ISO, burn it and install it on my Windows system.

Again, OSX simply works. It's the little things that make it so much easier to use and to trust. If you don't use it and you're used to Windows (like i used to be for some 20 years), you'll never know just how amazing OSX is.
    Last edited by Full-Auto; 12-31-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Here's my home system:

Just thought I would share.

The Dell monitor in the middle is connected to the Mac (as you can probably tell). It's a great monitor, I bought it with my last Windows system about 4-5 years ago. I'll miss it when it dies. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post

Again, OSX simply works. It's the little things that make it so much easier to use and to trust. If you don't use it and you're used to Windows (like i used to be for some 20 years), you'll never know just how amazing OSX is.
    Great summary, and pretty similar to my experience. I have to use M$ for work, both clients and servers. I have a home-built server running Win 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition, which I use for running VMWare Server to run proof-of-concept labs for work projects. I have an HP DL380 server for heavy duty stuff, but it's noisy as hell and heats the room up if left on for too long. I have a nasty Dell laptop that weighs a ton and constantly runs hot, which I have to lug around the UK and Belgium for work.

I decided this year that I had enough of being frustrated with Windows bloatware for 8 hours a day, and that I would give Mac a try for all the non-work related stuff. At the same time, I also decided to completely segregate work and non-work network traffic, including email and web browsing. So I got a Mac Mini and hooked it up to the TV and sound system, and then an iPhone.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, pleased enough to have gone out and got a MacBook Pro for taking on my own travels. Like Tim says, this stuff just works out of the box and works well.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 12-31-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

OMG, too funny. Right after I posted that last message my Windows 7 machine started opening applications on it's own and I lost control of the mouse. I had to hit the power button to make it stop.

LOL, f'in Windows. I'm now typing this from my Mac as I reboot my Windows machine.

****Edit: I suspect this most recent Windows boo-boo is the result of my Logitech G5 mouse. I installed the most recent drivers this morning which I'm sure is at the root of my problem. Back in the XP days I bought a Logitech mouse and it destroyed my XP box when installed the OEM driver package. I didn't do a back-up prior to doing the driver install... I thought "what could go wrong with a mouse?". I spent the next day rebuilding my system as it simply wouldn't come back from the dead after the failed install.
    Last edited by Full-Auto; 12-31-2009 at 10:45 AM.

OMG, too funny. Right after I posted that last message my Windows 7 machine started opening applications on it's own and I lost control of the mouse. I had to hit the power button to make it stop.

LOL, f'in Windows. I'm now typing this from my Mac as I reboot my Windows machine.
    Honestly i don't know why you guys have all the problems. Sometimes I will leave my main computer booted for a month at a time without shutting it down without a problem. one other thing, keep background programs in the tray to a minimum. I have had problems in the past with certain memory configurations. When i upgrade memory on a machine that I am unfamiliar with I do a Google search of the forums and look for problems before I buy a specific module. Any more I deal with laptops more than towers. Laptop components seem to be of better quality and are better matched then in desktop computers. Since the dual cores came out the speed is great.

Here's my home system:

Just thought I would share.

The Dell monitor in the middle is connected to the Mac (as you can probably tell). It's a great monitor, I bought it with my last Windows system about 4-5 years ago. I'll miss it when it dies. :)
    That looks a lot like my set up. I'll post a pic when I get home.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis