Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Food Bank Shortages 
    Food Bank Shortages

Last Update: 6/02 7:34 pm

Food pantries in Binghamton are struggling to provide for needy families.

With rising gas and food prices - and with a higher demand during the summer, food banks are not sure how they'll be able to feed the surge of people coming through the doors.

Davida Hughes comes to the catholic charities food bank on main street once a month.

"The prices are going up and it's been really hard and I get a few food stamps but then that runs out, so thank goodness we come here and they help out a lot."

Davida is already on food stamps and she says they don't cover the amount of groceries she needs.

"You think you're getting something then all of a sudden your food stamps are gone so I have to come here."

Catholic Charities patrons can come in once a month and pick what they want to eat. People can get up to 10 meals per week, but pantries are struggling.

http://www.newschannel34.com/news/lo...f-0f1ab5a7b3ce
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Iím confused. With so many employers needing people - how is it these folks donít just work an extra job to make ends meet?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Iím confused. With so many employers needing people - how is it these folks donít just work an extra job to make ends meet?
    Why work when you don't have to?

On a more serious note, when people enroll in the food stamp program they should also be required to take a few hours of food-related Home Ec. It's amazing the number of people who can't cook enough to make the most of a dollar and how few know how to plan for a week's worth of meals at a modest cost.

So these new people coming to the food banks - not the typical folks that have always come for assistance, fall under that Ďjust to lazy / canít cook economicallyí heading?

So these new people coming to the food banks - not the typical folks that have always come for assistance, fall under that Ďjust to lazy / canít cook economicallyí heading?
    Probably. This can't be the very first story you have ever read involving the equation [name the crisis] = [hedge fund managers seek food pantry help] x (women and minorities hardest hit). No matter what happens, some newsie will develop the tried and true Food Pantry angle.

If you are used to a fixed food budget and prices rise by a certain percentage, you need to change your buying habits to compensate. If you don't change your habits and preferences you will run out of money and have to hit the food pantry - ta DAH!

This isn't rocket science.

Well, that answers that. For a moment there I thought the country was actually in a recession. Thanks.:)

For a moment there I thought the country was actually in a recession.
    Why did you think that?

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBx View Post
    Why did you think that?
    BDS. Like the rest of the liberals, he wants to create the sense that Republican leadership has destroyed the economy so that his favorite candidate can claim that McCain is just Bush III, and sweep into the White House.

Too bad he fails to realize that the economic slowdown started as his candidate was elected to the US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by JBx View Post
    Why did you think that?
    Because of things like this?

Growing Demand, Soaring Costs Hit Hard at Food Banks in State

People often assume food bank clients are homeless or people without jobs. But MFN is seeing an increase in workers, people who are employed but not making enough to get by.

"People are making sacrifices in order to buy gas and pay rent," Satterwhite said. "At least 1.3 million more people nationally have enrolled in the federal Food Stamp Program compared to last year."

At the same time more people need help, food bank donations are down for several reasons. Because of high commodity prices and the weak dollar, farmers are exporting more of their crop.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...ood_banks_in/#

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Too bad he fails to realize that the economic slowdown started as his candidate was elected to the US Senate.
    John McCain / January 1987? That's when this started? Wow - didn't know that.

You must be one Hell of an economist! :eek: