Hybrid View

1. #1 Brits' terror over hole in jumbo 
    Passengers on a packed jumbo jet flight from London spoke today of their terror after a gaping hole appeared in the plane as it headed for Australia.

Some passengers were so terrified they vomited when oxygen masks had to be used as the Melbourne-bound Qantas Boeing 747 plane prepared to make an emergency landing in the Philippines.

Passengers spoke of hearing a loud bang and debris flying into the first class cabin as the plane’s flooring gave way, part of the ceiling collapsed and the plane reportedly plunged 20,000ft.

The aircraft touched down safely in Manila at 11.15am local time and amazingly all 346 passengers and 19 crew disembarked normally.

Manila airport operations officer Ding Lima told local radio the plane lost cabin pressure shortly after take-off on the Hong Kong to Melbourne leg of its journey and the pilot radioed for an emergency landing.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1469970.ece

Sonnabend
    Matter is in hand, no one hurt, investigation underway.

I suspect the "plunging 20,000 feet" was deliberate to descend below 10,000. This is normal but I'm sure frightening. I as a pilot make a truly bad passenger. Had I been on the flight, descending below 10,000 would not have improved the breathing due to the massive evacuation of my colon into my pants.:eek:

Doesn’t look like heavy structural - just a side-wall blow out. My bet is something got on board and let go - right next to the fuselage tube wall. The inspections on these long-flight / over-water aircraft are (especially with this airline) at a surgical level. Somebody probably packed something unsafe - and labeled it otherwise.

Fortunately - they won’t be in business any longer, and, of course the crew had the professionalism to keep everyone safe on board.

more on the story......

Qantas passenger Phill Restall, from Chippenham in the UK, describes how he was woken by a loud bang on flight QF30 to Melbourne which was forced to make an emergency landing after leaving Hong Kong.

I was asleep in the business section of the plane. All of a sudden there was a loud bang which woke me up with a jolt. There was a mist coming through the cabin and the oxygen masks discharged.

The cabin crew shouted to everyone to put them on, then they sat down.

We wearing them for about 15 minutes until we descended.

We went down very rapidly to equalise out the pressure.

I guessed it was going down a bit faster than usual. From the little knowledge I have of these things I thought that was what the pilot was doing.

No-one panicked, there was no screaming. It wasn't your typical television movie. Everyone listened to the cabin staff.

It was never out of control. Hats off to all of the Qantas staff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7525233.stm

Passengers on Qantas 747 with damaged fuselage were riveted, but was a panel loose?

It is not unusual that parts fall off aircraft in flight, but it is extremely uncommon that they cause a decompression of the passenger cabin.

In this instance an outer skin panel close to the wing and adjacent to one of the forward cargo hold doors separated from the rest of the airframe. Pictures of the aircraft clearly show that this was a system failure rather than being caused by, for example, an internal or external explosion. The panel in question appears to have been ripped away cleanly by the passage of the wind over the skin of the aircraft.

For this to occur, the indication is that a fault, either in manufacturing or maintenance, occurred.

The skin of aircraft is made up of very many such panels, all of which are riveted and glued in place.

Where such riveting is faulty for whatever reason, conditions exist such that, over time, wear and tear weakens joints and inevitably leads to failure similar to that that occurred on board QF30. As the air accident investigators go about the business of determining the cause of this incident, a thorough examination of the zone where the rupture occurred will be carried out. The focus for investigators will most likely rest on metal fatigue either within the skin sections or the riveting holding the panel to remainder of the airframe.

Boeing, the manufacturer of the 747-400 series of aircraft, as well as other airlines operating this type of aircraft, will be watching the progress of the investigation closely.

Should a flaw emerge that requires remedial work in other 747-400 aircraft operating around the world, then instructions will be delivered promptly to ensure that the remainder of in-service aircraft are as safe as they can possibly be.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4402697.ece

Sonnabend
    Somebody probably packed something unsafe - and labeled it otherwise.
    No. Already ruled out. I'll have a bacon burger with fries, and hurry it up.

Fortunately - they won’t be in business any longer
    Excuse me??

and, of course the crew had the professionalism to keep everyone safe on board.
    QANTAS crew and pilots are the best trained, best equipped teams in the world, our safety record is second to none.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 07-25-2008 at 08:08 PM.