Thread: 78% of the US population believe in angels

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 78% of the US population believe in angels 
    Wouldn't be DU without some hating on religion.

BlueJazz (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 08:57 AM
    Original message
    78% of the US population believe in angels
    It's followed by 8 pictures of an angry smilie hitting its head on a wall.

sleebarker (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 11:55 AM
    Response to Original message
    6. That's what happens when people are ignorant
    They look for magical explanations of the world.

uberllama42 (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 03:06 PM
    Response to Reply #9
    28. It shows that four out of five people believe something on zero evidence
    It speaks poorly about the critical thinking skills of people in this country.

I find belief in angles ridiculous and do not think that particular belief deserves respect. Do we respect those who believe in fairies or leprechauns?

Do we respect those who believe that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction in 2003?

Belief in angles, IMO, is symptomatic of a larger cultural problem in America. Those who believe in supernatural entities for which there is no evidence can make very poor decisions. The fact that critical thinking skills are so rare has negative implications for the rest of us, who have to interact with angel-believers on a daily basis.
    Teh hate is strong with this one.

TexasObserver (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 02:34 PM
    22. Angels don't care about kids in Darfur starving or kids in Rwanda getting arms cut off. Angels care about Americans, mainly church going Americans, Christians. They care about things like whether a person has a bad accident or not.

nadinbrzezinski (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 03:26 PM
    41. Magical thinking, the prelude to a new dark age
    there, I said it

And so did Carl Sagan before he died
    And here is a cute answer...

ayeshahaqqiqa (1000+ posts) Sat May-31-08 09:05 AM
    4. Well, I'm married to one.......n/t
    It's mostly just infighting, but I found it amusing.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=214x173633
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

BSR
    Yet these same people talk about their "spirit guides" and "healing white light"

Power CUer
    "I find belief in angles ridiculous and do not think that particular belief deserves respect."

I completely agreed with that when I was in school, but my math teachers strenuously disagreed, so I had to learn acute, obtuse, ALL the different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Yet these same people talk about their "spirit guides" and "healing white light"
    Good point!
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "I find belief in angles ridiculous and do not think that particular belief deserves respect."

I completely agreed with that when I was in school, but my math teachers strenuously disagreed, so I had to learn acute, obtuse, ALL the different angles.
    LOL! Good one! :D

Very good point.

gator
    Weren't a bunch of these Code Pink dingbats casting "spells" on the miliary recently?

You are correct to point out that DUers who believe in "healing white light" and other such New Age nonsense are in no position to criticize others for believing in angels, but not everyone at DU subscribes to New Age nonsense. For instance, I don't. I consider all religious and superstitious beliefs to be equally implausible.

"There's another reason I think popularizing science is important, why I try to do it. It's a foreboding I have -- maybe ill-placed -- of an America in my children's generation, or my grandchildren's generation, when all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when we're a service and information-processing economy; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest even grasps the issues; when the people (by "the people" I mean the broad population in a democracy) have lost the ability to set their own agendas, or even to knowledgeably question those who do set the agendas; when there is no practice in questioning those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and religiously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what's true and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into superstition and darkness." - Carl Sagan
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 06-03-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    You are correct to point out that DUers who believe in "healing white light" and other such New Age nonsense are in no position to criticize others for believing in angels, but not everyone at DU subscribes to New Age nonsense. For instance, I don't. I consider all religious and superstitious beliefs to be equally implausible.

"There's another reason I think popularizing science is important, why I try to do it. It's a foreboding I have -- maybe ill-placed -- of an America in my children's generation, or my grandchildren's generation, when all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when we're a service and information-processing economy; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest even grasps the issues; when the people (by "the people" I mean the broad population in a democracy) have lost the ability to set their own agendas, or even to knowledgeably question those who do set the agendas; when there is no practice in questioning those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and religiously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what's true and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into superstition and darkness." - Carl Sagan

Isn't Carl Sagan the dude that died?

If he died without Faith and accepting the Grace of God then he he is pretty much dead.

If he had Faith then he would believe in the Word of God. The Word of God speaks of angles being the messengers of God.

If you don't believe then you don't believe and Hell is very cold and dark.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    The Word of God speaks of angles being the messengers of God.
    As I said above, in my math classes, angles seemed to be more devilish than heavenly in origin.