Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I don't think an Iranian nuke strike against Israel is very likely. They can't nuke Jerusalem because it it a Muslim holy site. Tel Aviv, which is not that far from Jerusalem, has a sizeable Muslim population down the road in Jaffa. The fallout from either strike would kill as many Arabs as Jews. There are few other major population centers that are either important enough or far away enough from Arab populations to make a strike viable.

Bear in mind that the Iranians are not Arabs, and most Arab countries are very nervous indeed about their upcoming capability, and you can see that their strike options in Eretz Israel are very limited indeed. A small, portable device is another matter, and would change the game completely, but these are very difficult to manufacture, and hopefully well beyond the capability of the Iranians at this point.

The real problem is that at the same time they are developing nuclear, they are also developing long-range strike capability, and already now have a 2000km multi-stage rocket. Bad news for the EU, very bad indeed.

This is why we need to take the gloves off, start supporting the dissenters and help facilitate regime change. This is probably our best and only chance to do it without something making a very loud bang.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Hamp, more Muslims have been killed by terrorists then westerners. I think it's clear that in the heads of these nutjobs, it doesn't matter who dies, as long as people die.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I don't think an Iranian nuke strike against Israel is very likely. They can't nuke Jerusalem because it it a Muslim holy site. Tel Aviv, which is not that far from Jerusalem, has a sizeable Muslim population down the road in Jaffa. The fallout from either strike would kill as many Arabs as Jews. There are few other major population centers that are either important enough or far away enough from Arab populations to make a strike viable.

Bear in mind that the Iranians are not Arabs, and most Arab countries are very nervous indeed about their upcoming capability, and you can see that their strike options in Eretz Israel are very limited indeed. A small, portable device is another matter, and would change the game completely, but these are very difficult to manufacture, and hopefully well beyond the capability of the Iranians at this point.

The real problem is that at the same time they are developing nuclear, they are also developing long-range strike capability, and already now have a 2000km multi-stage rocket. Bad news for the EU, very bad indeed.

This is why we need to take the gloves off, start supporting the dissenters and help facilitate regime change. This is probably our best and only chance to do it without something making a very loud bang.
    They don't always respect their holy sites when they fight among them selves. it is not uncommon for them to blow up mosques and I'm sure with a search one could find incidents of them damaging much holier places. With the prize being Israel I don't think they would restrain themselves.

You could both be right.

All the more reason for us to do something then, I'd say. Sooner would be good, rather than later.

Unfortunately, we (US and UK) have got exactly the wrong people in power right now for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    You could both be right.

All the more reason for us to do something then, I'd say. Sooner would be good, rather than later.

Unfortunately, we (US and UK) have got exactly the wrong people in power right now for this to happen.
    It doesn't matter what type of Administration is in office, no one would preemptively act before something happend IMO. Afghanistan was a nobody military force. Iraq was a force mostly crippled by a decade of us stomping on them. Iran has a fresh military growing more technologically advanced every year. It wouldn't be nearly as easy crushing their professional military like we did with the other two.

There is no doubt in my mind that we could still waffle stomp their ass into oblivion, but there is no way in hell anyone could convince the American public to go to war with a country like Iran until that first nuke goes off.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I'll take mine from some of the various sources that I agree with.

Terror:

The terror trial in New York will be a farce from the word go.

Immigration.

Barack Obama’s illegal-immigrant aunt, Zeituni Onyango, will not be deported.

The economy:

A double dip recession will hit, brought on by a second housing collapse, this time will be the mid wage income earners hit hardest.

Politics:

Gay rights and immigration will stay off the president’s agenda as the White House tries to claw back to the center in anticipation of the 2010 elections.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg will retire for health reasons. This will create enormous problems for Obama, as the base will demand someone even more liberal than Sotomayor, while the times will require someone more moderate. Obama will go with his gut and name a very, very, liberal nominee.

The Presidency:

Michelle Obama and Joe Biden will slip by their minders and say something outrageous. The MSM will not report it. Persons who refer to Michelle's will be denounced as racists.

2010 elections:

Republicans will gain four or five Senate seats — most likely in Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. Marco Rubio will defeat Charlie Crist in the Florida GOP primary and go on to a general-election victory. By the end of the year, polls will suggest that several Republican presidential candidates can defeat Obama in 2012.

The GOP will not take back the House. But it will be very, very close.

Chris Dodd loses his election. Capital police need to use a crowbar to loosen his grip on his office desk.

Harry Reid loses re-election bid, calls results an “evil lie, bought and paid for by the insurance companies.”

World:

Iran will get the bomb even as the democracy movement gains steam.

Fidel Castro will die.

Kim Jong Il will die.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    The Cubs will win the World Series.
    I got one better...It will be the Seahawks and Dolphins in the 2011 Super Bowl.......

At least it is a better prediction than the Cubs. :D

Sonnabend
    The Cubs will win the World Series.
    You're a Cubs fan??? :eek::(

My deepest sympathies...

Ginger, you should lock and sticky this thread so the predictions can be tracked through the year.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Ginger, you should lock and sticky this thread so the predictions can be tracked through the year.
    Sticky it but don't lock it, I'd say. It could be a fun long term 2010 thread. We should be able to add to it and revise our additions.

Personally, I'd say something is going to kick off between Al Quds al Yahudi and Tehran this year. I almost can't see this not happening. Either that, or Tehran will get their precious fuckin' nuke.

Neither is a pretty option. One of them will come to pass, soon.