1. #1 "Saudi's allow Female'Talking Heads' But Only In Burkha with a Niqab Veil." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "They Look Like The Creatures from the Black Lagoon !"

GOOD morning, This is Sofa TV... Saudi Style.

A religious channel in the Arab state has just allowed women to present - but only if they wear a burkha with a niqab veil.

One host, Ola al-Barqi - Awtan TV's version of GMTV's Lorraine Kelly - insists the near-total covering does not stop her doing her job.

She said: "We don't introduce ourselves as beautiful women who put on layers of make-up.

"Our audience is focusing on what we present to them, our ideas and our discourse.

"We're always receiving calls from viewers in various countries encouraging us to keep doing what we do."

There are more than 60 such channels across the Middle East.

Some let women host shows without being covered up or dressed in black, while others ban them altogether.

At Awtan, not only are women covered from head to toe, but male technical assistants do not enter the studio while they are on air.

Its women also do outside broadcasts.

Ola said: "We report from the field in the niqab and it does not stop us from doing anything."

Ola, who also hosts a quiz for girls, doesn't mind not being recognised in the street - insisting: "We don't need fame.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0ZU2YQjGT
    Last edited by megimoo; 12-12-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Their treatment of women is unbelievable, but I guess this is a baby step (actually a giant leap) for that culture.

I commend those women for being pioneers. Years ago when I started in sales, I was told that I was the first woman in my field in St Louis and if I didn't do well, they'd never hire another woman. (This was a company with offices in 4 states). That was 30 years ago. I guess I did OK, as there are many sales reps in my company now (I'm not working for the first company, left after 4 years).
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Their treatment of women is unbelievable, but I guess this is a baby step (actually a giant leap) for that culture.

I commend those women for being pioneers. Years ago when I started in sales, I was told that I was the first woman in my field in St Louis and if I didn't do well, they'd never hire another woman. (This was a company with offices in 4 states). That was 30 years ago. I guess I did OK, as there are many sales reps in my company now (I'm not working for the first company, left after 4 years).

That's pretty much how I see it. It's a horrible place to be a woman, but they are at least making progress on some level.