1. #1 "Nebraska Abortion Foes ‘Stunned'". 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    WASHINGTON — By declaring he will vote for the Senate health care bill, Ben Nelson Touched off a Firestorm of Criticism Saturday on Abortion.

Nebraska Right to Life said it had been “betrayed'' by the Nebraska Democrat, long an abortion opponent, who agreed to support compromise language on abortion.

His home-state colleague, Republican Mike Johanns, said he was “stunned and incredibly disappointed'' by Nelson's decision. And the chairman of the Nebraska Republican Party, Mark Fahleson, vowed that it was the “death knell'' for Nelson's political career.

Nelson said the outcry was over what amounted to a distinction without a difference on abortion.Under the compromise bill, individual states could decide to ban any insurance plans with abortion coverage from the new exchanges set up in that state.

A mechanism also would be established, Nelson said, to segregate funds used to pay for abortions from federal subsidy dollars flowing to health plans.

“I'm respectful of the other position,'' Nelson said. “I just don't think that it's a distinction that matters, because what really matters is the separation, segregation, of the money.”

Nelson said the compromise would keep federal dollars from funding elective abortions. Abortion opponents were not persuaded.

“There is no pro-life Nebraskan more devastated by Senator Nelson's actions than myself,'' said Julie Schmit-Albin, executive director of Nebraska Right to Life. “I have defended his record to Nebraskans and believed that he would stand on pro-life principles as he has on numerous occasions in the past. … It is a very sobering day for myself personally and for pro-lifers across Nebraska and the nation.”

Federal law, known as the Hyde amendment, prohibits public money for abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother.

All along, Congress has been wrangling with how to extend those restrictions to the new federal funding for health insurance included in the bill.

Nelson had pushed for House-approved restrictions that would have required policyholders to purchase a separate abortion coverage “rider” if they were purchasing a plan that accepted any federal subsidies. His amendment to include that language in the Senate bill was soundly defeated.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091220/NEWS01/712209910

Power CUer
    Both pro-life AND pro-choice are upset by the bill, so it may be the only thing Congress is doing right.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

A Democrat is a Democrat first, and they were fools to think otherwise.
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Both pro-life AND pro-choice are upset by the bill, so it may be the only thing Congress is doing right.
    That may be true for voters in a state like VA but I don't think that will fly in a more conservative state like Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Please explain how allowing federal tax dollars being used to murder the innocent unborn is congress doing the right thing.

Power CUer
    lets see if this can get his mind changed back.

unlikely of course but who knows ? he indicated he had a conscience once, maybe it will return.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Please explain how allowing federal tax dollars being used to murder the innocent unborn is congress doing the right thing.
    You'll have to show me where I said that. Hint: I didn't.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken