Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Big Christmas Storm?? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well the 1st winter storm is past but the next...

Issued by The National Weather Service
    St. Louis, MO
    4:31 am CST, Sun., Dec. 20, 2009

... WINTER STORM TAKING AIM ON THE CENTRAL U.S. TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM APPEARS LIKELY TO BE IMPACTING PARTS OF THE CENTRAL U.S. HEADING INTO THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. THE TIMING OF THE STORM IS SUCH THAT IT MAY HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON HOLIDAY TRAVELERS... THEREFORE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL THROUGHOUT THE CENTRAL U.S. TO CAREFULLY MONITOR FORECASTS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
    FOR THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS... WEATHER DATA HAS SUGGESTED THAT A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL BE PUSHING INTO THE CENTRAL U.S. WITH MANY FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR A WINTER STORM COMING TOGETHER IN THE TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY TIME FRAME. ADVERSE WINTER WEATHER NOW APPEARS LIKELY SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE NATIONS MIDSECTION.

THE INITIAL STAGES OF THE STORM ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN IMPACTING THE PLAINS ON TUESDAY... THEN SPREAD INTO THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT. THE STORM WILL CONTINUE ITS INFLUENCE OVER THE AREA WEDNESDAY AND INTO THURSDAY... BEFORE EXITING THE CENTRAL U.S. ON CHRISTMAS DAY.
    HOWEVER... IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT THAT IT IS STILL MUCH TOO EARLY TO TELL EXACTLY WHEN OR WHERE THE MOST DANGEROUS WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR. WHILE THE FORECAST DATA HAS CONSISTENTLY POINTED TO STORM DEVELOPMENT... THE EXACT TRACK AND TEMPERATURE PROFILE OF THE STORM HAS BEEN VARYING A GREAT DEAL. THESE ARE KEY UNKNOWNS... SINCE A SMALL CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE OR STORM MOVEMENT OFTEN HAS A TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON THE AMOUNT OF WINTER WEATHER A GIVEN LOCATION RECEIVES.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME LOCATIONS MAY EXPERIENCE A VARIETY OF PRECIPITATION TYPES... WITH RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW AS THE SYSTEM MOVES ACROSS THE REGION.

WE EXPECT NUMERICAL WEATHER DATA TO BEGIN TO CONVERGE ON A PREFERRED SOLUTION OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS... SO AGAIN... HOLIDAY TRAVELERS ARE URGED TO CAREFULLY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS ON THIS STORM.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I'll take a look tonight and see what the prognostication is for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Find out what the weather is going to do too!

Wow! This may be a great time for Santa to pick up some toys from the Island of Misfit Toys, where they crunch all the global warming data on their misfit computers while sending misfit emails to each other.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Thank you kind weather guru! :D

My prognostication.

A crapton of rain from Wednesday through Thursday, with the possibility of snow late on Christmas morning. As of right now, I don't think we're in danger of getting any freezing precip, but there is going to be some funky stuff going on with the vertical temperatures, so it's possible. Temps are going to tank quickly on Christmas day, almost to the point that if there is still lots of standing water from the rain, I'd expect ice to form very quickly.

This is my only night working this week, so don't expect any updates. :P

Power CUer
    We had a little melting yesterday, so of course it all turned to ice overnight. The federal government is closed today but my company isn't. I'm telecommuting today.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

My prognostication.

A crapton of rain from Wednesday through Thursday, with the possibility of snow late on Christmas morning. As of right now, I don't think we're in danger of getting any freezing precip, but there is going to be some funky stuff going on with the vertical temperatures, so it's possible. Temps are going to tank quickly on Christmas day, almost to the point that if there is still lots of standing water from the rain, I'd expect ice to form very quickly.

This is my only night working this week, so don't expect any updates. :P

Hmmm...weather guy says rain.

We're Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!! I better have SLW
    go out today and get eggs, milk, and bread. :D

Thanks djones, rain would be fine.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I better have SLW
    go out today and get eggs, milk, and bread. :D
    Sounds like a good breakfast if you add BACON!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Well, isn't this interesting. The models are trending toward a fairly exciting outcome for Wednesday (for us here in the high plains). This new system might be a lot more than picturesque. :eek: