Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Europe cold snap kills dozens across continent 
    Dozens of people have died across Europe as days of snow storms and sub-zero temperatures swept the continent, causing traffic chaos for millions.
    At least 29 people froze to death in Poland as temperatures fell far below freezing, while in southern Germany a figure of -33C (-27F) was recorded.
    Moscow said it was deploying 9,000 snow ploughs to clear the city's streets.
    Air, rail and road transport links were disrupted across northern Europe where more snow was expected in coming days.
    Eurostar services between the UK and the continent were suspended on Monday for a third day, as the company launched an immediate review into train breakdowns which have stranded and delayed tens of thousands of passengers since Friday.
    'Saturation point'
    The crisis prompted French President Nicolas Sarkozy to call the head of national rail carrier SNCF - the majority stakeholder in Eurostar - to order a normal resumption of service by Tuesday.

Meanwhile Eurotunnel - which carries vehicles under the Channel between England and France - said its terminal at Folkestone was at "saturation point" and closed its shuttle car service to new arrivals.
    In Poland, police appealed for people to help if they came across homeless or drunk people lying outside, as temperatures dropped towards -20C in some areas.
    Most of the 42 people who froze to death in the country over the weekend were homeless, police said. ...
    link

Damn that global warming. :mad:

Don't worry! AGW is non-falsifiable so your so-called "cold snap" is merely a local phenomenon having no relation to the broader concerns of the hoax.....I mean the reality..... of AGW. :p

Banned
    I knew getting all of those inefficient cars and SUVs off the street in that Cash for Clunkers program was going to bite us in the ass! This is purely Obama's fault.

It's gridlocked here. The region (South East/South Central) appears to be at complete gridlock at the moment. The M3 is shut. Most of the main roads are at a stand-still.

I'm expecting to be hosting a good friend of mine here tonight because of this. His wife works near where I live, and lives three miles away in the same burgh, a journey which today took her three hours to complete. He's currently in a car seven miles away, and has been seven miles away for about three hours now. Even the cellular phone network is overloaded. SMS just about works.

Meanwhile our elected idiots go junketting of to Copenhagen on business and first class air, to fix a probably non-existant problem there instead of planning for and fixing a very real problem here.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 12-21-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Keep 'em red. Don't show any white. That would be a very, very not good idea right now.

I'm just wondering how the hell I'm going to complete Wednesday's journey if this keeps up.

How much snow do you actually have? Do your stores sell chains? I don't mean the heavy-duty real ones like I have, I mean the lighter kind. If they do, you might want to pick up a set while you can.

That's the exact problem. It's up to maybe 4 inches max, but we have become so used to no snow at all in the South that we are hopelessly under resourced when it does happen, which it seems to be doing more frequently. My colleagues in Aberdeen would not consider this anything more than a light dusting, and their kids would probably make it to school and back without problem.

I might see if my local KwikFit has winter tyres for my car, but I'll probably get the usual slack-jawed drooling response for my efforts. And the other problem will be all the other "keine Winterreiffen" idiots who'll be doing their best to hit me. :(

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    That's the exact problem. It's up to maybe 4 inches max, but we have become so used to no snow at all in the South that we are hopelessly under resourced when it does happen, which it seems to be doing more frequently. My colleagues in Aberdeen would not consider this anything more than a light dusting, and their kids would probably make it to school and back without problem.

I might see if my local KwikFit has winter tyres for my car, but I'll probably get the usual slack-jawed drooling response for my efforts. And the other problem will be all the other "keine Winterreiffen" idiots who'll be doing their best to hit me. :(
    Well, you've got a point there. Four inches wouldn't be news out here, either. On the other hand, even if there were no plows or gravel trucks at all, 4 inches wouldn't stop traffic here. Heck - I don't even clear my own driveway for anything under 6 or 7 inches.

It would really help if the UK Met Office would stop pretending to know how to predict 30-year-out non-events such as AGW and instead at least make a token effort to get a two or five day forecast right now and then. They got this one completely wrong.

Am I asking too much? The weather itself is not their fault, but getting the regional forecast so completely wrong in this way definitely is their fault, especially as they are now spending their time and money (aka my time and money) on propagandizing unsettled AGW science.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post

If it were me, I would try to rent a vehicle with AWD and leave my beautiful Porsche in the garage. Otherwise, I would say screw it and stay home.:)