Thread: Europe cold snap kills dozens across continent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If it were me, I would try to rent a vehicle with AWD and leave my beautiful Porsche in the garage. Otherwise, I would say screw it and stay home.:)
    That's good advice, and I've been seriously contemplating the rental option today. I'd far rather trash a rental car than my car, although I'd far rather not trash any car at all. I'll decide tomorrow.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hamp, call AlGore and tell him you need some of dat Global Climate Change
    carbon creditted your way. :D

But don't forget all you "Climate Deniers", because it's cold here means it's
    really warm somewhere else...or is it the other way???

It sounds like Atlanta Hamp. They fall apart too if they get even a inch or two.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Keep 'em red. Don't show any white. That would be a very, very not good idea right now.

I'm just wondering how the hell I'm going to complete Wednesday's journey if this keeps up.
    Is that YOUR Porsche?
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Is that YOUR Porsche?
    Yes it is.

Resident Grump
    Hamps...you need a 4WD and make sure its turbo diesel. My mate who is a firie, just came back from snow rescue training. Thats what he recommends for snow travel.

DONT get a petrol only..make sure its diesel...better range and costs less.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    DONT get a petrol only..make sure its diesel...better range and costs less.
    He's lives in England - what kind of range does he need? You can basically walk across the entire country in a day. :p

Looks like the main roads are OK today and should be ok for tomorrow. The main problem is the local streets around me, which are very slippery. The Porker is a 4WD as it happens so hopefully I should be ok.

I've been out taking Christmas card piccies this morning, so I'll be posting them in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    He's lives in England - what kind of range does he need? You can basically walk across the entire country in a day. :p
    Sonna has a point in last night's case ... a friend of mine took 8 hours to do a 20 mi journey. Stop - start - stop all the way (mostly stop). The engine had to be kept running because of the temperatures he had to contend with. Fortunately he had a full tank of gas. Others were less fortunate ... something in the order of 2000 cars were abandoned by their owners last night in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Sonna has a point in last night's case ... a friend of mine took 8 hours to do a 20 mi journey. Stop - start - stop all the way (mostly stop). The engine had to be kept running because of the temperatures he had to contend with. Fortunately he had a full tank of gas. Others were less fortunate ... something in the order of 2000 cars were abandoned by their owners last night in this area.
    I was just yanking your tail, Hamps. Are you sure Al Gore isn't holed up somewhere in London? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I was just yanking your tail, Hamps. Are you sure Al Gore isn't holed up somewhere in London? :D
    Wouldn't surprise me ... Gordon Brown has predictably enough fallen for the whole AGW BS, hook, line and sinker.

Here's the pics:

The 2nd one looks like a Bev Doolittle print I have, without the Indians and the horses.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 12-22-2009 at 09:59 AM.