Thread: Sunday Stones

1. #1 Sunday Stones 
    Banned
    Rainy today in the Capital of Dull. Looks like the perfect day to stay inside, do a little cooking, drink a little wine, watch a movie and do whatever else comes to mind. Connecticut is pretty in the summer rain, with its rivers, rolling hills, and green, green forests and we've a nice view down onto the river and surrounding countryside from our windows.

Went out to a cookout last night (I'm refraining from calling it a BBQ as misuse of that phrase around here seems to generate considerable discussion) at a colleague's of my girlfriend, with a number of other dentists. God, I now appreciate my ex-wife a bit more for suffering through parties wherein the discussion all focused around consulting and IT techie talk. Dentists are just as bad (at least) and the evening conversation centered around new implant techniques, veneers vs. laminers, etc.

The hosts are also from my girlfriend's country and they prepared a number of East European dishes, including Ćevapčići, which I haven't had since Sarajevo. They're minced meat - beef, lamb, and pork - seasoned with garlic, onions, and cayenne pepper, and served with bread and raw, chopped onions.

They were a bit bland as I think the hosts toned them down a bit for the Americans present. I'll try them this week and post a recipe.

Listening to the Stones this morning and, in an emerging tradition, decided to continue with the weekend theme that Bubba set forth last night in his Saturday Night Jukebox. One of my favorite Stones's songs is, not surprisingly to those who know me, ...

I saw her today at the reception
    A glass of wine in her hand
    I knew she would meet her connection
    At her feet was her footloose man

No, you can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need
    I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
    To get your prescription filled
    I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
    And man, did he look pretty ill
    We decided that we would have a soda
    My favorite flavor, cherry red
    I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
    Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
    I said to him

But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need
    And, of course, thinking about this leads me to the...

TOTD: Is there something you've wanted your whole life (or most of it) that you've now reconciled to yourself that you're not going to, or likely to, get (or do)? This doesn't have to be a material thing, but could include an experience as well. If so, what? And how has the recognition that you're not going to get it (or do it) affected you?

For me, ever since I read John MacDonald's Travis McGee series as a young man, I've wanted to live on a houseboat. At various times in my life, I've investigated the notion, looking at marinas, devouring books on "living aboard," trying to convince various women in my life that it was a great idea. Women, in particular, always seem to be the sticking point, as they seem to abhor the notion of living on something that moves.

However, should I ever end up divesting myself completely of the female of the species, perhaps it won't be too late to buy the Busted Flush and dock it in the harbor in Antibes.

Last edited by Cold Warrior; 07-27-2008 at 09:27 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Rainy today in the Capital of Dull. Looks like the perfect day to stay inside, do a little cooking, drink a little wine, watch a movie and do whatever else comes to mind. Connecticut is pretty in the summer rain, with its rivers, rolling hills, and green, green forests and we've a nice view down onto the river and surrounding countryside from our windows.

Went out to a cookout last night (I'm refraining from calling it a BBQ as misuse of that phrase around here seems to generate considerable discussion) at a colleague's of my girlfriend, with a number of other dentists. God, I now appreciate my ex-wife a bit more for suffering through parties wherein the discussion all focused around consulting and IT techie talk. Dentists are just as bad (at least) and the evening conversation centered around new implant techniques, veneers vs. laminers, etc.

The hosts are also from my girlfriend's country and they prepared a number of East European dishes, including Ćevapčići, which I haven't had since Sarajevo. They're minced meat - beef, lamb, and pork - seasoned with garlic, onions, and cayenne pepper, and served with bread and raw, chopped onions.

They were a bit bland as I think the hosts toned them down a bit for the Americans present. I'll try them this week and post a recipe.

Listening to the Stones this morning and, in an emerging tradition, decided to continue with the weekend theme that Bubba set forth last night in his Saturday Night Jukebox. One of my favorite Stones's songs is, not surprisingly to those who know me, ...

And, of course, thinking about this leads me to the...

TOTD: Is there something you've wanted your whole life (or most of it) that you've now reconciled to yourself that you're not going to, or likely to, get (or do)? This doesn't have to be a material thing, but could include an experience as well. If so, what? And how has the recognition that you're not going to get it (or do it) affected you?

For me, ever since I read John MacDonald's Travis McGee series as a young man, I've wanted to live on a houseboat. At various times in my life, I've investigated the notion, looking at marinas, devouring books on "living aboard," trying to convince various women in my life that it was a great idea. Women, in particular, always seem to be the sticking point, as they seem to abhor the notion of living on something that moves.

However, should I ever end up divesting myself completely of the female of the species, perhaps it won't be too late to buy the Busted Flush and dock it in the harbor in Antibes.

That's the whole point of living on a house boat,It's for the same reason as keeping a non American girlfriend ,to keep the serious woman away.
    And you don't want to keep it in a marina but in an out of the way slip in a sea channel away, Far away, from the Madding Crowd !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    That's the whole point of living on a house boat,It's for the same reason as keeping a non American girlfriend ,to keep the serious woman away.
    And you don't want to keep it in a marina but in an out of the way slip in a sea channel away, Far away, from the Madding Crowd !
    Yeah, but have you ever made Ćevapčići. :D

Last day of my week off vacation from work, got some things done around the house and read a lot (finished Duma Key and liked it, read a couple short works by Ed Lee, Ten Thousand Islands by Randy Wayne White, always a good read, and started Dance of Death by Preston & Child, and its great so far).

TOTD: In my younger days I always wanted a big ol' SUV like a Four-Runner or even the larger model (forget the name now) but obviously with gas never going to where it was a few years ago, that will not happen. And it doesn't bother me.

Always wanted to live in a little beach cottage in the Keys....but that will probably never happen, either. I am okay with that, too. Remains to be seen if I become bestselling horror novelist...haven't given up on that dream...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Would you call it the "Busted Flush" (and I hope I remember the name correctly)?

If you like the Stones you've gotta love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wonPmOhglhs

This is Townes Van Zandt's version.

TOTD:Mine had something to do with Ann Margaret. I've pretty much hung that one up. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Last day of my week off vacation from work, got some things done around the house and read a lot (finished Duma Key and liked it, read a couple short works by Ed Lee, Ten Thousand Islands by Randy Wayne White, always a good read, and started Dance of Death by Preston & Child, and its great so far).

TOTD: In my younger days I always wanted a big ol' SUV like a Four-Runner or even the larger model (forget the name now) but obviously with gas never going to where it was a few years ago, that will not happen. And it doesn't bother me.

Always wanted to live in a little beach cottage in the Keys....but that will probably never happen, either. I am okay with that, too. Remains to be seen if I become bestselling horror novelist...haven't given up on that dream...
    Why just horror ?Follow Clancy's lead .As I recall he was attempting to sell insurance to a Navel Academy graduate and the topic rolled around to his recent graduation from the Navel War College in NewPort RI and the board game they used in class to teach strategy .Clancy thought about it and came up with an idea for a book and it evolved into the Hunt For Red October.Sometimes we are more than we really know !

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post

Reading is good inspiration for writing. It feeds the wolf.

Maybe it isn't a wolf. Maybe it's a panther. Or a character. Or a place. But it's something inside that needs to be fed and needs to create.

Writing is an audacious act. It requires power. Courage. Perhaps even arrogance. Get some.

Keep writing, Noble Mon.

(Sorry, couldn't keep the Shaman in me from coming out.:o)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Reading is good inspiration for writing. It feeds the wolf.

Maybe it isn't a wolf. Maybe it's a panther. Or a character. Or a place. But it's something inside that needs to be fed and needs to create.

Writing is an audacious act. It requires power. Courage. Perhaps even arrogance. Get some.

Keep writing, Noble Mon.

(Sorry, couldn't keep the Shaman in me from coming out.:o)
    Good words, man. And you're right. Very much so. Shaman away anytime, BD...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Why just horror ?Follow Clancy's lead .As I recall he was attempting to sell insurance to a Navel Academy graduate and the topic rolled around to his recent graduation from the Navel War College in NewPort RI and the board game they used in class to teach strategy .Clancy thought about it and came up with an idea for a book and it evolved into the Hunt For Red October.Sometimes we are more than we really know !
    Yes, true, but Clancy also had a lifelong interest in Naval warfare and had extensively read and researched it. Write what you know...ya know? While I have read a few Clancy novels and enjoyed them, I prefer to write in the genre that I know.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    TOTD: Oh, who has time to ponder this kind of shit? Life sucks. I reconciled myself to that fact years ago.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III