Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ohio mom catches young daughter shoplifting, calls cops, enquires about reward 
    When Diane Lyons of Carrollton, Ohio, caught her 6-year-old daughter shoplifting a $3.11 pack of tattoo stickers, she did what any mother would do.

She called police, who took little Shiane away.

Lyons then asked about collecting a $30 reward for turning in shoplifters, the Associated Press tells us.

"I don't think I went too far," Lyons, 31, said in a phone interview. "You've got to catch them when they first start if they do something wrong." ...
    link

Asking about the reward may have been a step too far.

Banned
    The city should send the mother a bill for all costs (police man hours, etc) less the $30 reward. That would teach the both of them.

She should have just used the methods parents of old used which was a stern talking to about right and wrong followed by a stern whipping to imprint the stern talking to on the tyke's mind... forever.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Lyons, 31, asked about collecting a $30 reward for turning in shoplifters but decided not to follow up because she felt bad about doing it.
    Translation; THe reaction I got wasn't good...

I think she did the right thing in calling the cops. The reward however is way below the belt...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Translation; THe reaction I got wasn't good...

I think she did the right thing in calling the cops. The reward however is way below the belt...
    Calling the cops on a 6 year old? My thought is that mom's main reason for doing this was for the 30 bucks. Mom is a sell out to "The Man".

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Calling the cops on a 6 year old? My thought is that mom's main reason for doing this was for the 30 bucks. Mom is a sell out to "The Man".
    According to the story this wasn't the 6 year old's first time doing this, so yes calling the cops was the right thing to do... THe reward however was an extremely scummy thing to pull...
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    According to the story this wasn't the 6 year old's first time doing this, so yes calling the cops was the right thing to do... THe reward however was an extremely scummy thing to pull...
    Can I infer that you are saying that you wouldn't have an issue handing your 6 year old over to the state for the state to discipline?

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Can I infer that you are saying that you wouldn't have an issue handing your 6 year old over to the state for the state to discipline?
    Chief Ronald Yeager of the Carrollton Police Department in eastern Ohio arrived at the Discount Drug Mart Dec. 15 and took the girl to the police station in his cruiser before releasing her to Lyons.
    In this manner, no I'd not have a problem. She wasn't booked, photographed, fingerprinted or apparently cited. She got a ride to the station to see what could happen later on down the road... I hope it worked this time. Now if the child had been put into "the system" then I would most definately have a problem. That was not the case...;)
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

first time offense i think the best way to handle that is best shown in the first few minutes of that movie "Four Brothers". Works like a champ
    “The characteristic of genuine heroism is its persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world. The heroic cannot be the common, nor the common the heroic.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Freedom is the natural yearning of the human sprit as we were endowed by our creator.
    Rush Limbaugh CPAC 09

Sonnabend
    Theft is theft and the age doesnt matter. There have been instances of organised groups of kids who shoplifted, and knew no one would call the cops because they were too young.

Scare the crap out of them, show them the "consequences" of being a thief, and do it NOW before the little darling gets the message they can do what they like and grows up with that belief.

"hand them over to the state"?

I prefer sitting there if I were a parent and watching whilst the little sweetie gets a cop standing over them telling them how much trouble they are in.

Shoplifting is theft.

Plain and simple. How many career criminals started off because of this kind of PC idiocy?

Nip it in the bud. Hammer the lesson home.